Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric Scissors... >
  • Fabric Scissors...

• Fabric Scissors...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM

If it happens a second time I think it would be a good idea to either have her buy you a new pair or pay to have them sharpened. Sometimes a hit in wallet will make them actuely aware.
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

The orange handle Fiskars are some of the ones we use for utility scissors. Keep several pair of those for everyone to use and they will stay away from sewing scissors. Dull scissors are not worth having for any cutting job.
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 PM

I know that I am in a very small minority here, but I do cut paper with my Fiskars and my Ginghers. Not regularly, but I don't hestitate to use them when I am doing a project and need to trim some paper. Same with my rotary cutter. I haven't noticed that they lose the edge any more than usual. I take my scissors and my good knifes to the Knife Guy at the Joann about once a year and get them all done.

I decided not to worry about it after I took a class with Carol Doak and she said that she did the same. She said that a long time ago paper was made with wood chips in it, but now that it is processed more it doesn't really hurt the scissors or cutter. I do remember sewing clothes in the 80's with polyester and that did take the edge off the blade.
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM

One of the few "Spanking Offenses" at my house was and still is TOUCHING MY SEWING SHEARS!
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    Just tell her it dulls them and you need them sharp for cutting fabric and if she uses them again, you will mop the floor with her favorite outfit :)..just kidding
    Or not :mrgreen:
    Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by OHSue
    I know that I am in a very small minority here, but I do cut paper with my Fiskars and my Ginghers. Not regularly, but I don't hestitate to use them when I am doing a project and need to trim some paper. Same with my rotary cutter. I haven't noticed that they lose the edge any more than usual. I take my scissors and my good knifes to the Knife Guy at the Joann about once a year and get them all done.

I decided not to worry about it after I took a class with Carol Doak and she said that she did the same. She said that a long time ago paper was made with wood chips in it, but now that it is processed more it doesn't really hurt the scissors or cutter. I do remember sewing clothes in the 80's with polyester and that did take the edge off the blade.

My thoughts exactly.
    Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

Her and I had a good chat about my scissors. Since I have a room and a place for my things the fact that she used them was was what got me instead of the fact that she used them to cut paper. Many of you are so right...if this is the worst she does I am indeed one lucky mom. In the scope of the universe...It doesn't really matter. No harm no foul and her and I had a good chuckle when it was over and I asked her 10 times what she cuts paper with...her answer?? NOT the good scissors. =)
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    Just tell her it dulls them and you need them sharp for cutting fabric and if she uses them again, you will mop the floor with her favorite outfit :)..just kidding
    I wouldn't be kidding! :lol:
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Please do not get excited but paper will not hurt your scissors it is a BIG HUGE myth.

Really we cut pattern paper and pattern pieces out for bags etc... where the problem lies is if they will pick up to cut paper they will cut on cardboard or carpet too or through a piece of wire.

Always good whe you have family around to buy the fiskers for there use and get some good dress maker scissor for yourself and let themknow the difference... good luck.

ConnieF
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Really?? Didn't know that!!!!!!!