Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter? >

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

I agree, I have several of the JT rulers and they are all gouged. I wont replace them
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM

I find poor quality in June Tailor products most of the time. I only buy a special ruler or item that no other company makes.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM

I have had my JT slotted mat for about 8 years and have never had a problem I have used my 45mm Olfa cutter and the smaller one also. I made sure I start in the teardrop shaped slot before I start cutting. I hold my cutter straight. If you slant a bit to the left or the right, you will not get a true measured cut. I had a student who slanted her cutter to the left. She could not understand why her blocks were coming out the wrong size, even though she had measured her seam allowance which was exactly the 1/4 in. She says now when she starts cutting, she hears me say, "cutter straight up".
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM

I use a metal yard stick and a flexible metal art ruler. Can put a nonslip pice on the back if it isn't corked
Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 AM

I haven't have had any problem but I only use my fiskars cutter where the blade is pushed out by me before cutting, it's not one where the blade comes out by pressing down on it. I guess the rulers are meant for that kind of cutter.

They are kind of flimsy and I can see where you might have problems using the press-down type of cutter. Sorry to hear it...
Old 06-25-2011, 03:09 AM

I thought the problem of cutting up my ruler was b/c I was a new quilter and a lefty! The ruler that I cut up is the Shape Cut (I think--I am not at home to check as I am on vaca) I have had a hard time getting the cutter into the slot. I do use the Olfa with the blade switched around to the opposite side so I am not sure that the Olfa is the issue. I agree with the person who said she thought it was too flimsy so I am going to write to them also. They need to know that their product is inferior...
Old 06-25-2011, 04:45 AM

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I personally hate the Dritz cutters where pressing down on it brings out the blade. Never really figured out where the blade was going to end up exactly. That could be the big issue with some of the problems using the June Tailor ruler we've been talking about.
Originally Posted by IrishNY
I haven't have had any problem but I only use my fiskars cutter where the blade is pushed out by me before cutting, it's not one where the blade comes out by pressing down on it. I guess the rulers are meant for that kind of cutter.

They are kind of flimsy and I can see where you might have problems using the press-down type of cutter. Sorry to hear it...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 AM

Can't you switch the blade to the other side of an Olfa cutter to make it a left-handed one?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 AM

I have used one of my slotted rulers for about 8 years. The only time I ever have problems is when I get into "automatic" zone and forget to but the blade in correctly. I have since bought several more -- I really love them. I have not cut the mats up, but have had a couple of blades go south when I hit an edge..

I use either the 45 of 60mm Olfa cutter -- I have had issues with the smaller one in these mats, but then I normally cut 4+ layers.