Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing Paper >

Removing Paper

Removing Paper

Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I love the idea of pressing used dryer sheets to freezer paper and then printing on them. I'll have to try it. As for the flamability (sp?) I read that too but in further reading that myth was busted when another poster tested cotton vs dryer sheets in her kitchen. Seems both went up in flames the same, wish I could find that thread again.
I've also found the perfect time for me to pick those pesky paper pieces, its while riding shotgun in our RV over those scenic, wimdy, bumpy roads. The only thing I hadn't cured was the "fallout" so now I'll use the bathtowel idea, thanks!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use lightweight vellum and it removes so much easier then paper. I won't use paper if I have a lot of blocks to make, it wastes too much time getting all the paper bits off and picked up. I like the printable stiff stuff that you don't tear out and turns to thin fabric when washed, forgot the name, I'll have to look on the package. Why use paper when it's a chore to remove? There are many options.
ditto, the light weight vellum removes with ease and doesn't leave any tiny pieces in the stitches that have to be removed with tweezers.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

you are supposed to use a metal nail file, hera marker, or seam ripper and run across the stitched line..to CREASE the paper first then it comes off like a dream..
also different papers do different things..I found that the JN fabric if your Iron them..they get stiff and tear off easier! after I crease it of course!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use lightweight vellum and it removes so much easier then paper. I won't use paper if I have a lot of blocks to make, it wastes too much time getting all the paper bits off and picked up. I like the printable stiff stuff that you don't tear out and turns to thin fabric when washed, forgot the name, I'll have to look on the package. Why use paper when it's a chore to remove? There are many options.
ditto, the light weight vellum removes with ease and doesn't leave any tiny pieces in the stitches that have to be removed with tweezers.
that might be so, but she used a Judy Neimeyer pattern and they come already printed on her paper!

also vellum is so costly that it would be a great expense on a large quilt!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM
saf

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
Tweezers, spritzing it with a little water. Using bad language helps sometimes.
all of the above! :lol:
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
also vellum is so costly that it would be a great expense on a large quilt!
It's not expensive if you buy from a bulk paper source. I bought it here when there was a sale and free shipping. http://www.paperplus.com/productdeta...p?bvn=10016356 There are many sources online to buy it, I just kept a watch for the best sale.
I don't have to buy it again. One ream will last me a lifetime. I use it a lot for tracings and making quilt motifs. I have enough to share with my quilt buddies too.

:D
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

About 20 years ago while taking complimentary classes for a new Pfaff I learned of a great stabilizer that removes very easily. Medical exam paper! The instructor passed around a sample piece and asked all of us if we could identify it, giving us a hint that most of us had "been in very close contact with it". No one could guess, but we were certainly amused. We paid something like $3 for a big roll and I'm still using that same roll. I have used it for small paper pieced blocks.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 AM

I use cheap paper and stitch the pattern out with a heavy duty (jeans) needle with no thread. I set my stitch length at about 2.1. When I stitch with fabric I stitch at 1.5 or 1.8. I still have to pick with tweazers but hardly anything. I also baste my edges or seam lines and leave my paper on till the quilt is totally stitched together. It is a little extra work but worth it to me.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a roll of the exam room paper I cut with my Go die cut machine and then foundation piece on it. Great way to use up all the tiny pieces of fabric scraps. Also the thin sandwich wrap deli papers sold at Sam's Club is great for foundation piecing.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 AM

I find kicking the table leg and gritting my teeth help also...