Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing paper from paper piecing quilts >

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Old 06-25-2015, 04:30 AM

Default Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

I just finished my first paper piecing project. It is a throw made up of 64 blocks with 13 pieces to each block. I have the blocks sewn together and am now needing to remove the paper. I was shown to leave the paper on until the blocks are sewn together. I started to take the paper off last night and realized what a time consuming job it was going to be--a lot of pieces and some very tiny 1/4 inch specks that are sewn in the seam intersections under and in-between the seams. What is the fasted and best way to remove all of these paper pieces?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 AM

I'll be watching for replies, too. I have always found removing the paper to be a nasty task--time consuming and very messy. My plan is to use old pattern tissue paper next time I want to do foundation piecing. Someone on the QB suggested it.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Judy Niemeyer is the paper piecer that I admire. Judy does not worry about those little tiny "bits" that are a pain to dig out. Her theory is that the wash will destroy them and they will become part of the batting. Recommendations for Judy's quilt ...use a VERY small stich length. I have heard the seam ripper with the "eraser" end works great for removing the paper.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 AM

I find it easier if I score the paper along the stitches, not hard enough to bother them though. Then the paper just peels up in a strip. Hope this helps you.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

When I used paper for paper piecing I left the tiny pieces in the seams. I wasn't about to remove all those little bits and strips. Now I use vellum paper, it's so easy to remove. For patterns with lots of parts I use Stable Stuff and leave it in.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:50 AM
dd

I never tried it but I heard if you spritz it lightly it will tear off easier.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Small stitches work best. Someone recently posted a video link here that uses a new technique where you fold the stitch line and stitch right next to the fold line thus no removing the paper.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Someone mentioned using a QTip that you dip in water to run along the seam to soften the paper before pulling it out. If the piece is "land locked" sewn on all edges, I score the center with a pin and then peel from the middle out. A messy, tedious job that is best tackled with lots of breaks and rewards.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:45 AM

Carol Doak says the same thing; don't worry about the little bits.

I tend to remove the seam pieces as the I sew sections together. I think that helps a lot to reduce bulk while sewing and makes the paper removal process at the end, less troublesome.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM

I too remove the seam pieces earlier....at least on the "inside" of the pressed seam so it doesn't get caught in another seam underneath.

Honestly I haven't had a hard time and do suggest a smaller stitch and also "crinkling" your quilt top up a bit to help loosen some of the papers/seams. Most of mine actually have some pieces falling out on their own as I piece and rarely do I have a spot that isn't easy to pull out.