Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric? >

Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric?

Anyone ever hire someone to organize their fabric?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 AM

Actually, a lady I met in the LQS was looking for have someone help her with her stash. I said "I'll help you". So, she hired me to organize her room / fabrics. It took about a week and I made a new friend. It was a lot of fun playing with someone else's stash. She had A LOT too. Fortunately, she the the bins and shelving to work with. I even helped her set up a wall for previewing / arranging her blocks. She loved it. Good Luck! Wish I were closer!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM

It's a daunting task for some of us (me)who tend to be "stash-a-holics". It took me 2 months, working in my upstairs sewing room, in the middle of summer, to get mine done. Rome wasn't built in a day and niether were our messy sewing rooms. Take it one day at a time and HAVE A PLAN! Don't burn yourself out by trying to get too much done at a time. It'll wait for you, believe me. I'd be there to help you in a snap if I lived closer.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I would think it would have to be done by another quilter, who at least knows how to do it. I think a non-quilter would just cause tons of problems, just my 2 cents worth. If I could get someone to organize mine, I would in a heartbeat so I agree with ya :)
Originally Posted by Theresa
Hire a high school kid from the neighborhood.
Absolutely! You have to have someone who respects and understands the art of quilting.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 AM

It does take time when organizing it but saves time when it's done. Then when you need a color you can just look across your fabric's and choose instead of having to dig through piles.

I'm cheering for you. Go Go Go
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

I LOVE to organnize things and my fabric is no exception. My wall of fabric is no exception. We are are still finishing rooms in the house we built so my studio has a stack of lumber that some day will be the stairs and tools all over but my fabric is gorgeous and my long arm is operational, by golly! I'll try to post a pic, wish me luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Therese
I LOVE to organize things and my fabric is no exception. My wall of fabric was up there on the list to get unpacked. We are are still finishing rooms in the house we built so my studio has a stack of lumber that some day will be the stairs and tools all over but my fabric is gorgeous and my long arm is operational, by golly! I'll try to post a pic, wish me luck!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM

I know EXACTLY how you feel. It took me a LONG time to finally get mine <almost> done. It is a slow process.... I washed all my fabric.... whew.

Hang in there. It will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. I love looking at my organized fabric. It is so easy to find...use... and put back.

Take it a little at a time.... set a goal you can reach.... ex: wrap 5 pieces per day. When you get overwhelmed.... walk away.

If I lived closer.... I would be glad to help out. Good luck!!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM

I am so impressed. Today, my idea of organizing my sewing room is to "shut the door" :shock: . You probably wouldn't want me to help but I am real good at petting and admiring fabric........
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM

I would suggest not doing it the way I did..lol..I let my DH help..it got done and I thought I'd be in jail for murder before it got finished !!!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM

My future daughter in law offered to help organize mine/me. She is a stickler for detail.