Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubby taking over my quilting tools! >

Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Hubby taking over my quilting tools!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Years ago Hancock’s had new plastic handles scissors at 2 for $5. I bought them for “paper scissors and made it clear to my kids and husband the only ones they could use. Some 10 years later I needed a spool of thread and DH was with me and went in with me [a first]. Standing in line to pay he was looking around and said “boy they sure have a lot of paper scissors” I never told him different. all tools are mine.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 AM

My DH knows better than to touch any of the tools in my quilting room. If he does, he puts them back and I don't know. Nope, he never uses them because he never puts things back. :D :D :D
Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 AM

DH was mighty impressed with my rotary cutter...he knows good tools when he sees them. A few months after he saw it he came upon a task at work (food manufacturing plant)where he needed a temporary slicer for a small test job.
He devised a stick with five rotary blades rulling and cutting in one fell swoop. The customer liked the product and they then devised a permanent more expensive set up.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Ahem.... I must confess, if DH wants to use his wire cutters he usually ends up rummaging through my bead drawer to find them. He's never even looked at my tools. Hope he doesn't get any ideas, 'cuz I don't have a leg to stand on! :oops:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Yesterday, I was planning to work on a table runner but couldn't find my cutting table. What the heck? How does something that big go missing? No problem. I'll use the dining room table, but my cutting mat is missing, along with my 24" ruler and rotary cutter. Thought I was going crazy until I heard grumbling from the spare bedroom. There was my hubby, cutting table, cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter. He was cutting window shade films for the spare bedroom and decided my quilting tools were exactly what he needed to get the job done. Not sure if it's good or bad to use my rotary cutter for cutting film. I may give him my cutter make him buy me a new one.

I should have taken a picture of him leaning over the cutting table, carefully using my quilting stuff. It would have made good blackmail material for his golfing buddies!

Any other hubbies who use your quilting tools? He's also used my scrapbooking tools. Don't men have their own tools???
OMG that is priceless! My DH wouldn't even know how to use anything in my sewing room!He never pays attention to anything I make. :lol:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM

Dh and I share a quilt room; he has more sewing machines than I do. I do buy the tools we share (its our money that pays the bill), he has his set and I have mine. We do share whenever we need too. He helps me cut the thick layers of material, is a good critic on his opinion on patterns and blocks. I do have my set of tools that he "borrows" because he cannot find his most of the time.

We do have different opinions & ways we see things; guess neither one of us is bored with our life. I keep him guessing. Someday, I will replace his "area" in the quilting room with a LA!! lol!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 AM

That is hysterical. PICS! PICS! PICS! You must have ammunition. My sweetie hates when I take tools out of his shop for something. Did you all know that a screwdriver cannot be used for a screw unless the size is right? Well I use whatever fits! I also take his awls and anything else I can find to fix things in my sewing room so when my iron disappears down to his workshop I really can't complain. However.... I do try and do it when he is not around because he always asks what I need it for and then he wants to get involved. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 AM

The blades at Harbor Freight are for carpet, but they work great. I purchases the carpet cutter that the blades are for and use it to cut wrapping paper. These are other things I have purchases are HF. Suction cup in 3 different sizes to use on my rulers, Mark ruler that has angles. Lots of good stuff their. I also found 2 sizes of awls, now I don't have to go to the garage. My husband and I share all the tools from my sewing room to his garage. I have pretty ribbon on my scissors that are for fabric only and since he is a knife collector, he doesn't bother them.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 AM

AND A GOLD STAR GOES TO ... MY HUSBAND!

My husband watched me use my rotary mat and cutter, asked for permission to "try it" cutting some fabric strips, and then told me he'd put the mat, cutters and O-Lipfa cutting ruler on his Christmas Wish List.

Bill never borrows my quilting stuff without asking (and even then, borrowing is rare) and his tools are always in order, in plain sight, in his workshop. When I ask to borrow one of his tools, he asks what I plan to do with it, and then gives me the tool that best suits the purpose, often giving me tips on how to do what I want to faster, easier and more precisely.

I am always on the lookout for "cool tools" for his hobbies (miniature clipper ship modeling, leather work, wood work, all-purpose whatevers) and have found some great stuff between $5 and $250.

If he were ever to usurp any of my quilting tools without asking permission, what he took now belongs to him, and I buy myself replacements as fast as I can order from the internet or get in the car to buy a replacement.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:34 AM

My BF barely enters my sewing room. But his truck is on automatic pilot to Harbor Freight and Home Depot!!