Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My version of a "stitch ripper" >

My version of a "stitch ripper"

My version of a "stitch ripper"

Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Best stitch ripper going! That is what I was taught with too! I get mine at the hardware store.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry them, as well as most paint stores. Any place that sells men's shaving supplies also carries these.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Use a small rotary cutter. You'll get the same effect and you always have one of those.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
When I first started working & we typed up "spreadsheets" ... there were 4 carbons under our nice top sheet...any typing errors.... you stopped & scraped away the carbon error... rolled back & retyped... YIKES.... I'm not that old....doesn't anyone else remember using them for that?
I remember doing that :roll:
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by aeble
This is what I was taught to use to removed stitches when I worked at an alteration shop tearing out hems and prepping the clothing for the seamstresses.

A few years ago I found blades in a dollar store, but haven't been able to find any more since. Anyone recognize these and know what they are called or where to purchase them?
I took a new one out of a package of ten this morning to scrape the registration sticker off my windshield and put the new one on. Single edge razor blades are available at Wal Mart in both the shaving and the hardware department, at Lowe's and at most drugstores. And they are the best seam rippers in the world as well as being handy to scrape paint off windows when you've over painted. I coudln't get along without having at least two packages on hand. froggyintexas
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
When I first started working & we typed up "spreadsheets" ... there were 4 carbons under our nice top sheet...any typing errors.... you stopped & scraped away the carbon error... rolled back & retyped... YIKES.... I'm not that old....doesn't anyone else remember using them for that?
We did the same in high school, and then, as a teacher, I did the same with mimeograph carbons . That was until the copy machines came into the schools.
Yup! Couldn't believe those old purple spirit carbons and the spirit fluid suddenly became hazardous after we got copy machines in our workroom at my high school. The kids like the purple stuff better because of the smell! froggyintexs
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM

That's what my Gma taught me to rip seams with when I was a little girl. then when I took Home Ec in high school. I had to get special permission to keep them in my "tote" of stuff. Can you imagine someone trying to bring them to school these days???
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM

single edged razor blades and they can be located at hardware stores .... they fit also in scrapers for getting paint off windows and stuff like that ....... my momma used them all the time ...
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Don't have time to read through all the postings, so forgive me it this has already been posted. I know a couple quilters who use the eyebrow trimming blades for "unstitching." I found them at WM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Also great for cleaning the glass top stoves.