Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding tool? >

binding tool?

binding tool?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

I make mine with a straight pin carefully pinned in my ironing board. Same principle but a lot cheaper. Perfect binding strips every time.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM

I should have read all the posts before I posted my comment.......all you do is stick your pin on your ironing board then right back out again, then back into your board again an inch or however big of binding you want. Fold your strip at the tip the way you want it, work it under your pin, then start pulling it, ironing as you go. Works great for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM

i am sure there is a crafty person on this board that could come up with a homemade binding tool that would work the same way but not at that price
Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm thinking that I'll try making something similar using the heat-proof template material with slits in it for the different size bindings. Hmmm....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 AM

its pretty cool, but to pricey. when you make your own bias tape with the little notion, you do the same thing, only using a safety pin.

what i need is someone to just hand sew the one side on!

thanks for the link though!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

This is not the same tutorial I saw before. But here is a link to a Utube video showing how it is done.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Fi5Maq5qA
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
This is not the same tutorial I saw before. But here is a link to a Utube video showing how it is done.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Fi5Maq5qA
OH...MY...WORD!!! I LOVE this board. I think I learn something new everyday!!! Thank you all seeeeeeewwww much! This is wonderful. (Shaking my head at how smart some people are to figure things like this out!!!)

Thank you...thank you...thank you!

(Now I have to make some bias binding before I forget. Maybe if I actualy do it once, I'll be able to remember next time.)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

This tool is for double binding. All it does it help fold the binding for pressing.

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
The only problem I have with all these techniques is that they create a single layer binding. I always use 2 1/2 strips, fold them wrong sides together and then attach to my quilt. I did find a "foot" for the Simplicity binding machine that advertises that they make binding for quilters but it only folds the fabric in half and you have to still have to attach it to your quilt the way you always did. I have bought every attachment I could find--binding feet that attach to your machine (uses purchased single layer binding), one that attaches to the bed of your sewing machine--still makes single layer binding and the Simplicity binding machine whose regular "feet" make single layer binding. So all in all, if you use single layer strips to bind your quilts these all will work fine. I have yet to find one to do the double layer binding. If anyone knows of one that will please let me know!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM

I'd rather spend the money on fabric...but it's a good idea... :)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM

I read (I think here on quilt board) not to even iron your binding. Tried it and worked great and eliminated that step of always burning your fingers.