Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Xmas  Items >
  • Xmas Items

• Xmas Items

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 AM

Your tree skirts are wonderful. Is it a pattern you can share. I would love to make them as gifts.
    Originally Posted by angiecub
    I've been making tree skirts again. Here are the two I've made so far this year. The picture was taken before the binding was done on the red one.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 AM

Banner/flag type thing with dowel rod at top or curtain tie backs to hang.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 AM

pillowcases and crochet scarfs.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
    Mug buckets.
    Murphy: What are mug buckets??
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Originally Posted by ploverwi2
    It is not legal to make things with licensed fabrics that you are planning to sell for a profit. You can make things, but you can not sell them. My sister found this out recently where she sells things. Her things were pulled from display, because it was an infringment of licensed fabrics sold for money.
    That's not really true. You can read about this at http://www.tabberone.com. In a nutshell, though, the First Sale Doctrine says that once an item has been sold, the seller has no more control over what happens to it afterward. Meaning, if you have purchased a lawfully made piece of fabric - licensed or not - you can do with it what you please.

However... if for instance it it has Mickey Mouse on it, and you make a child's apron, you have to be careful how you describe it. You cannot call it an officially licensed Mickey Mouse or Disney apron. You can say that it is made from officially licensed fabric.

The Tabberone site contains some very useful information and is well worth looking at, in regards to this subject.
    Thanks for this info -- I've also been told that as long as you don't make mass-produced items, it's legal.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Love the tree skirts also!
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM

I make purses out of Christmas placemats and table runners that I buy after the holiday when they are 75% off.
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Nan,
    Thanks for the link http://www.tabberone.com.
    Very informative.

emt2004
    Hope you do well in selling your Christmas projects. I would say ditto to the suggestions you have been given.
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by emt2004
    Anyone working on any Xmas items? I need some ideas for our Xmas craft show at the hospital. Anyone willing to share some ideas?..........Michele
    I kept crochet angels after my last craft show, that I made with colored string and glittered paper twist wings. My tree is colorful with them and there is enough white crochet snowflakes to make up the difference. I also have brass jingle bells to make the tree bright. I sold all my white and cream angels and snowflakes. I now only make colored angels to give to friends and family.
    Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
    It is not legal to make things with licensed fabrics that you are planning to sell for a profit. You can make things, but you can not sell them. My sister found this out recently where she sells things. Her things were pulled from display, because it was an infringment of licensed fabrics sold for money.
    Actually, there is NO copyright infringement - it's called FIRST SALE DOCTRINE and the courts are upholding the crafters on this. The doctrine states that the rights of the copyright owner END at the FIRST SALE - meaning as long as you buy your licensed fabric from a licensed dealer, you can do and make and sell anything and everything you want. Disney is one of the worst, but they lose all the time in court. It's this doctrine that enables people to sell used books without having to pay the author royalties a second time - copyright owners get only one - ONE - financial bite at the apple per item.

This topic has been posted on and posted on and posted on, and people are still getting it wrong because of mis-information and fear campaigns.