Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vertigo....interferring with quilting time! HELP >

Vertigo....interferring with quilting time! HELP

Vertigo....interferring with quilting time! HELP

Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM

See a neurologist.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM

[quote=CoriAmD]I too have suffered with vetigo - once so bad I spent 6 hrs. in emergency. the Dr. gave me an IV with "sea sickness" medicine that finally worked. After that, and several Dr.s and tests - I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease (build up of fluid in inner ear)...

Thanks for this info, my husband's aunt has been having the same problems. Nothing the Dr's have done has helped any. I looked this up on the Mayo's website and it describes the exact symptoms. She has a Dr appointment tomorrow, I'll mention this to him and see about having her tested.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by imcraftee
Have been dealing with Benign Positional Vertigo for over two weeks! Have been to 2 doctors, it is suppose to "correct itself" Anyone else deal with this and do you have any suggestions of how to make it go away ! I want to quilt again! Thanks.......
I have the same problem, and DH is just wonderful when it strikes. I usually just sit and sew when it strikes. I am currently having an attack, so I spent the day working on DH 'biscuit' quilt. I have finished all 505 biscuits, and assembled 8 of 28 double nine patch panels. I have Meclizine for the vertigo, but if anything, it makes me even more dizzy, so I don't take it. I just wait it out. Dizzy and hot flashes makes for a 'wonderful' day. :oops:
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Have been dealing with Benign Positional Vertigo for over two weeks! Have been to 2 doctors, it is suppose to "correct itself" Anyone else deal with this and do you have any suggestions of how to make it go away ! I want to quilt again! Thanks.......
Yes, I had this and it about knocked me out. What they had me do was lay down on my bed, pillow behind me so my head would be draped over the back of the pillow, and on my back. Do this real fast!!! Then after about 15 seconds, when the room had quit spinning, turn my head really fast, to one side, and then in 15 seconds, do it real fast to the other side. Then roll onto your side fast and after 15 seconds role fast to the other side. After doing this three times a day it did go away. Did come back but because I got impatient and figured it was over. NOT!!! Good luck! Oh and it never came back, thank goodness.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM

I also have experienced this. It was horrible! I just waited it out and thank goodness it only lasted 3 days! I feel your misery! Hang in there and it will go away soon!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM

never had it in my life until one day a year ago - then BOOM - so dizzy I couldn't get up without help, had the pukes, poops, was exhausted, couldn't eat....literally laid on the couch for 4 days (lose 7 lbs though, that part was nice:) Missed an entire week of work...wouldn't wish it on anyone!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mshawii
Yes, I had this and it about knocked me out. What they had me do was lay down on my bed, pillow behind me so my head would be draped over the back of the pillow, and on my back. Do this real fast!!! Then after about 15 seconds, when the room had quit spinning, turn my head really fast, to one side, and then in 15 seconds, do it real fast to the other side. Then roll onto your side fast and after 15 seconds role fast to the other side. After doing this three times a day it did go away. Did come back but because I got impatient and figured it was over. NOT!!! Good luck! Oh and it never came back, thank goodness.
Thank you so much for this, my ENT showed me this last year, and it does help a lot, but I forgot how to do it. God bless you for your willingness to help. Living with chronic memory problems is a constant pain in the *&%^! Yet another blessing from this group of wonderful people. I love you all.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM

I get problems like that sometimes, I had a traumatic brain injury several months back that causes it, I do wear a patch behind my ear, the patch is called Transderm, maybe ask your doctor to see if this would be of any help for your situation.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

My daughter found out that it was the Crystals in her ears that was causing her problem.
The doctor said to position yourself on the bed where- when you are laying down on your back your head is hanging off.
You will probably need someone else there because you will get dizzy and may need help getting back up.
First, sit up == turn your head to the right and lay back keeping your head to the right, and your head off of the bed. If you don't feel dizzy sit back up and turn your head to the left--lay back again keeping your head turned ---if you feel dizzy -- it's because the crystals have slipped out of place. STAY THERE for a minute or so. It's scarry when you get dizzy and you may even get sick to your stomach. When you do this and feel dizzy, have someone check your eyes, usually they are quivering. then you know it's the crystals and doing this two or three times a day for a week should help put the crystals back in place.
Syl
Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

The carnival ride has stopped. Thank you 'imcraftee' and 'Threadhead'. I have saved a copy of your instructions for future episodes. :thumbup: Tahnk you again. -Kelly