Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter >
  • Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter

• Final Dresden Seasonal Swap - Winter

Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Hey I made my first plate with 20 wedges :oops: LOL it was pretty wonky :shock: I found my ruler AFTER I cut all the pieces from the paper template :roll: Too much stuff here .... anyways this time I will start with the ruler :thumbup:
    Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 AM
    Power Poster

You sure that ruler makes 16 wedges like quilter's cache? I think the EZ Dresden ruler takes 20 wedges to make a plate. The angle is wrong. Lay your plastic dresden ruler on top of the paper template from quilter's cache and double check.

My Dresden ruler was called Fast2Cut and takes 20 wedges to make a plate.

Does anyone know what ruler for sure would make the correct angle so it takes 16 pieces to make a plate? I have a template from when I did a dresden from a quilt in a day pattern and that makes 12 wedges to make a the plate. It is very wide.

I also looked at the different links posted on how other people did it using no Dresden ruler and I think I might give the one with double templates taped or maybe drawn to a ruler a chance.

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Hey I made my first plate with 20 wedges :oops: LOL it was pretty wonky :shock: I found my ruler AFTER I cut all the pieces from the paper template :roll: Too much stuff here .... anyways this time I will start with the ruler :thumbup:
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM

There is also a Dresden Plate ruler - the template from Quiltercachs would be the 4 inch wedge :wink:
    this only makes a 20 bladed plate...............

taping the paper template to the ruler is the best for accurate size. I just made 24 plates that way..........
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I have received three sets already from the participants. This should give you a nice idea of how to do your blocks.
    Could we see more pictures, please.
    Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM
    Power Poster

My husband is making me a wedge ruler out of plexi glass. He said the quilter's cache is slightly off. It is not even on each side. He folded it double and showed me. I am not sure if it is our printer but the one inch square was right one. I am sure there is some play so in the long run it probably doesn't matter.

I can hear his saws running in his shop, aka garage. I have a birthday party for my two youngest at the house and after that I get to play with my new wedge ruler. :P

What is everyone using for back ground for the pointsettia block? At this point I am thinking of using some Moda muslin I have. Is anyone using a color or pastel or is it all the unbleached muslin look? I am not sure what is expected. I have plenty of time before I am at that point.
    Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM

All of the ones I did from Quilterscache were right on. I think it may be your printer. And yes, we are doing 16 blades, not 20 that the ruler will give. That is why I posted the link for the Dresden, and if you do have any questions, please check out the "Flowers that Bloom in the Spring Tra la Tra La" for the tutorial. I did post the link. Some seem to be able to get to it, others are having problems. Annaquilts, I have put you down for both swaps - snowflake and pointsettia. Let me know if you need to drop the pointsettia.
    Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM
    Power Poster

hhmmm my dad is pretty clever ... maybe I will take him the paper and have him make me a wedge :wink: LOL
    Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Me too if he doesnt mind
    just let me know the cost
    hhmmm my dad is pretty clever ... maybe I will take him the paper and have him make me a wedge :wink: LOL
    Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
    Power Poster

Go for it. I just finnised cutting the wedges for the Pointsettia with the plexiglass ruler DH made me. It was so quick and easy!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM

GREAT IDEA!!!!!
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Go for it. I just finnised cutting the wedges for the Pointsettia with the plexiglass ruler DH made me. It was so quick and easy!