Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help me solve a "mystery!" >
  • Help me solve a "mystery!"

• Help me solve a "mystery!"

Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    This looks like it and there is a pdf as well.

http://quiltdoctor.blogspot.com/2011...-for-cruz.html

There is a link if you click in the word "here" under the first picture.
    Went there and tried to read the directions.......could not understand...are these squares that are then joined together or are they strips or how is this thing constructed..maybe it is too early in the morning for my brain to be working....I really like the look of it, but if don't see the path of it.....maybe I will look later today and the light will go on....
    Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    This looks like it and there is a pdf as well.

http://quiltdoctor.blogspot.com/2011...-for-cruz.html

There is a link if you click in the word "here" under the first picture.
    Thank you, I have been wanting this technique as well.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Partial seams, folks. Partial seams. A lot of them. But they're very easy.

Here's a much easier block showing how partial seams are sewn:
    http://quilting.about.com/od/piecing...tial_seams.htm

Here's a bigger version of that block in a quilt, also done with partial seams:
    http://quilting.about.com/od/piecing...tial_seams.htm

Now go back to the pattern and follow the instructions by number to see how she's slowing building up the quilt.

Also, look at the diagram of the full quilt so you can see how she's starting in the bottom left corner (circled in black).

Yeah, you have to be fairly organized. If you're just doing scraps and a background, it's a little easier. If you're doing a gradiation across the quilt ,then you need to REALLY pay attention, and pretty much have the quilt all laid out before starting.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sunny580
    that's the one I was thinking of, thanks for finding so fast. I'm going to bookmark it this time.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM

I understand the partial seams but I don't understand the progression of the pattern. Just dense I guess. Ann in TN
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
    Ok, first I will apologize for getting off topic here, but why do partial seams? I just love this quilt, but I have never done partial seams before and I am a bit intimidated..lol
    Partial seams are just that, ones sewn partially, then you go back & sew the rest of the seam later. Not scary at all, try one & see!
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by ncredbird
    I understand the partial seams but I don't understand the progression of the pattern. Just dense I guess. Ann in TN
    Match up the pieces in the diagram (colors are the same) on top to the bigger quilt diagram (bottom left corner).

After you get the units from the top completed, the next step would/could be to the right of the blue vertical strip.

You would attach the 2 horizontal rails (one three piece - white, red, white and the long purple) together.

That unit would then be placed next to the blue vertical strip.
    It would first be attached by a partial seam horizontally to the small white piece above it, and then the vertical seam to the blue strip would be complete.

THen you could add another section going up the left side of the quilt. There is a teal horizontal strip that can be attached.

THen the two vertical strips on top of that can be attached to the teal with a partial seam.

It's a maze. You have to follow the map.

Again, if you're doing it scrappy - brights and background, for instance, like the sample in the instructions - it's a lot easier because you can make a lot of the 2 rail pieces ahead of time (made up of one with 3 small pieces and one long plain rail).

Have some single colored rails and small background squares available and you just take whichever you need to keep going.

You can build up or to the right. After you've added someting along the edges, then you can fill in the center. Once that' done, add more to the bottom and left edges and keep filling in.

There are numerous ways to attack it. Once you get the rhythm, you'll see it's actually not that difficult.
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Thanks for posting all these links & photos, everyone! I love lattice quilts & have been searching for patterns too! I love the black background one someone posted a link too, with flowers, it's very delicate & beautiful looking!

If this pattern sounds confusing to some of you, cut a few scrap strips & try them out with the instructions. Sometimes, actually doing it, then trying to read through the pattern & figure it out, is much easier. Works for me anyway, so thought I would share....

This would be a neat background quilt too, to add some applique on top of, don't you think!....
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 AM

The quilt some of you have referred to was on yesterday's post. It was pieced by Pat75 and quilted by rosemaynes. The lattice is done with florals on a black background and is stunning. Rose quilted vines and fruit hanging from the lattice-great idea. This quilt made me want to do one even more. And...don't overthink the peicing. Just follow the directions. They are clear and well done. I think you will see a pattern or rythmn emerge as you go.
    Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142111-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138368-1.htm