Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat. >

Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat.

Which quilting machine under $2000 has a 9" throat.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Husqvarna/Viking's Sapphires have a larger throat if you want a regular quilting/sewing machine that can piece and quilt. If you want it only for quilting done in LA fashion, then you need to look elsewhere. I have heard many, many good things about Viking and have owned one (not with the larger throat though) and loved it. I believe Bernina's more top end machines come with a larger throat now too.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
I just bought a Janome Horizon for $1900.
Wow, you got a good deal! I paid $1400 for my 6600P.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM

HI thankyou for the reply, just looking for one to use on my horn sewing cabinet. at the moment i have a janome with a 4" throat.
i also fmq.
i dont wont to use a frame, because i am a beginner quilter but not at sewing i am still builting up my stock. i dont have the money yet for a frame and would really like to quilt all my quilts myself to save money.

jane
Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 PM

wow i shall have a look. did not think of ebay. thx jane
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM

hi thats the size i am interested in quilting too. my poor little janome with 4" throat is all i have.
this is my first large quilt. only have done two others. one for the dog at 12" x 24" and a sampler one 44 x 44". this one will be 92" x 92" i have designed it myself for my son. it is similar to a log cabin but i put my own twist on it. i have almost finished it.

thx jane
Old 09-17-2011, 03:56 PM

I have a Juki and have had it for 7 years now. I use it constantly and have never had any trouble with it. I clean it good after I do a quilt. I also keep a brush ahndy and every time I replace a bobbin I clean ut the lint from under the feed dogs and around the bobbin. I bought mine at that time new for 400.00. It has beally been a work horse.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Bought my Juki 98Q 3 years ago (in Jan) and absolutely LOVE it! Love the new model even more! (My sisters came to sew with me and they all loved it too.

If you are serious about your quilting a good machine makes a huge difference in your quality. I learned that after sewing on a 1974 Kenmore and then going to the Juki. Kenmore went to my daughter and is still being used to this day.

I am looking at a long arm as I want to keep the Juki for piecing- I know the 9" throat would not be big enough for an easy fit for quilting on a frame. I have quilted queen size on it now, but with no frame.

Enjoy shopping!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM

I have mine on a quilting frame and it works great. My frame is Handi Quilter. My husband built a permanent table for it and I quilt King size + on mine. This last week I made me some extra (I can't think of what you call them, but they are the fabric pieces that go on the rollers of your quilting frame to hold your top, backing) short one to fit a crib quilt and also table runners. It works great.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 PM

Hi, Bea again. The 9960 Singer is not a big Quilting machine and it has a 10" throat. I am a newbe at quilting myself. You don't need a frame with my machine. I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. I just know the wonderful things I have been able to do that I never could do before. I have been learning by making blocks for about 9 months. That taught me more than I can tell you. I made my first quilt ever and it was done on a really bad machine. I could not finish with machine quilting. So I had to hand knot it. It looked great. Not what I thought my first quilt would be but it really worked well. I am now working on #2. This one has 16 butterflies and I will be able to quilt this on my machine no problem. Just thought I would share from one new quilter to another. Good Luck, Psywillow :D
Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Can't answer your dircet question, but a Bailey 15''and a gracie pro frame only cost 3400. So I think you can get a 15'' bailey for around 2000.