Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beautiful Quilts.........AND Cats >
  • Beautiful Quilts.........AND Cats

• Beautiful Quilts.........AND Cats

Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 AM

You don't exactly have to LET a cat lay on the fabric...and it washes just fine.
    Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    If anyone would refuse a quilt because my dog or cat had touched the fabric...... Well, they're never on the quilt list again.
    Fabric is just another surface. It's not hallowed ground in my house. My furbabies are way more important!
    Hear hear!!! :thumbup:

I don't have quilts on the beds in case of potential damage to them, my kitties are more important to me than having to worry about that. I finish about one quilt a month and give 99% of them away. But first I hang them on the wall till the next one is done so that we can enjoy them before they are donated.
    Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM

same here 3 cats and a german shepard so our house is not fur free if people dont like it they can just stay away :) I wash my quilts before sending them out and also a lint roller works as well most people i know also know we have animals so dont mind if they find a little fur on them.....
    Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM

I have a my quilt on my bed and the cats are always sleeping there too. I finally decided to lays sheet over it. It's much easier to change it to a clean one than to keep the cats off it or wash the quilt all the time. If company comes, I remove it.
    Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by shihtzulover
    I have been a member of this board for almost a year and I just got into quilting about a year ago. ALL OF YOU LADIES post pictures of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen (I'm so envious...I'll get there one day..LOL).

What does bother me and is a question for all of you cat lovers...HOW DO YOU KEEP THE CAT HAIR OFF OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL QUILTS AND FABRIC? I see so many picutes of quilts, fabric, blocks, etc. that have your cats/kittens laying on the quilt, sewing machiine, block, fabric, and I'm sitting here thinking OMG, all that cat hair.

I do not mean any dis-respect to any of you cat lovers (I am a shih tzu lover...I have 9 of them) but I don't let my dogs lay on any of my quilts or fabric. They don't shed hair, but I don't care, they ARE NOT laying on my fabric, becuase I don't know where that fabric will end up at as a gift.
    Our shih tzu shed. Even my daughter's Chihauhuas shed a little bit. My Pomeranian sheds in both spring and fall, as do the Yorkie and the Schnauzer, who has diabetes and has lost her vision to cataracts. And If I had a short haired domestic cat inside, I imagine s/he would shed.

I vacuum a lot, use lots of lint rollers and wash projects before giving them away. I know some people just can't stand the thought of having animals in the house. Their privilege and also their loss. It means a lot to me to have the veterenarian who treats my dogs say, "Wow! That dog really loves you." That's more important to me than a few stray hairs, no matter from whom they came. froggyintexs
    Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
    Speaking from a mom whose daughter is highly allergic to cats....cat dander is the "stickiest dander ever." It takes 9 months of vacuuming every week to get rid of the dander in your home---and I mean vacuuming (remove couch cushions and vacuum like never before, curtains, couch pillows,etc.)

A friend, whose son has asthma, poor littel guy would end up in the Emergency room monthly---she FINALLY got rid of her two cats, as advised by the allergist. She vacuumed like mad and the child has never had another asthma attack since---and it has been a few years.
    Sorry, cat lovers,,,,couldn't have your quits in my house.
    And I certainly wouldn't want them in your house or in the house of anyone who is allergic to dog or cat dander. froggyintexas
    Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I had 3 cats and moved to Hong Kong-left the moggies with a friend. 2 years later I was still picking cat hair off things.

Wash-lint brush-or cat lover!

I am sorry for those who for one reason or another does not like animals or can not have them. In my house the animal are part of the family and have the same privileges as I do. Eat when I eat-snack when I snack-sleep on the quilts when I sleep with the quilt-the fabric is washable as are the fur babies. I will admit that the fur babies don't get washed in the winter-too cold-but the quilts do!

Bottom line-love me-love my animals!!
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by RenaB
    Originally Posted by ljptexas
    I buy a lotttttt of those cheaper lint remover rollers....

:thumbup: :thumbup: ;) ;)
    This is me!!
    That's me too. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
    I had 3 cats and moved to Hong Kong-left the moggies with a friend. 2 years later I was still picking cat hair off things.

Wash-lint brush-or cat lover!

I am sorry for those who for one reason or another does not like animals or can not have them. In my house the animal are part of the family and have the same privileges as I do. Eat when I eat-snack when I snack-sleep on the quilts when I sleep with the quilt-the fabric is washable as are the fur babies. I will admit that the fur babies don't get washed in the winter-too cold-but the quilts do!

Bottom line-love me-love my animals!!
    I love this. So do my two cats and one (so far) dog.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ;-) :-D
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Love me, love my cats.