Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is there a market for handquilting >

is there a market for handquilting

is there a market for handquilting

Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 AM

I have bookmarked this because when I had one I wanted hand quilted I could not find anyone to do it. I started on it myself an
still at it... Hate doing it but, it was my first project and all hand pieced so thought it needed to be quilted that way also. I think
there is a market so don't give up hope. If I have another one I will pm you. Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Just wondering if there is a market for handquilting? i am trying to find ways to make some extra money for my long arm....so many people around here know i quilt but they dont want to pay the money so therefore i wont make quilts for people here...so i thought maybe i could offer handquilting for others...is there a market? i quilt 8-10 stitches per inch but very consistent stitch length...or is this not good enough to quilt for others? i love the look of a handquilted quilt.
blessings
I would make a small wall hanging with info. list sizes/price and ask the LQS If you could put it in her shop.
Most shops will be happy to give out information to their customer . They can see your work and what the cost would be before they contact you.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 AM

I always have my quilts hand quilted because I don't like the feel of machine quilted items. My quilter is a neighbor so I don't have to pay postage. Good deal all around.
Your stitches are certainly the right size for beautiful work.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 AM

I have wondered the same thing. My question is how would you charge? I've looked at what the AMish ladies charge and I believe it is too much. What do you think?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
I have wondered the same thing. My question is how would you charge? I've looked at what the AMish ladies charge and I believe it is too much. What do you think?
Just because they charge a price I wouldn't pay doesn't mean that it's too much. In fact, it probably doesn't cover the cost of the time at a fair rate of pay.

There are people who will pay, but you have to sell the idea by making the customer aware of the value you are adding to the quilt. Yes, you can have it quilted cheaper by machine using an overall design, but when you have something hand quilted, you are creating an heirloom. Heirlooms aren't cheap.

Janet
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 AM

I do hand quilting for others and find that it has slacked off from when I first started.I did give the local quilt shops my business card and never got any jobs from them, maybe they forgot or what I don't know. I have my service listed on the Hand quilting service website .For many years I was quilting for a quilt shop in California and the owner would tell her classes about me and I would get business from them. I have quilted quilts for people from California to New York, but the business has slacked off.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM

There are people who will pay to have a quilt hand quilted--often an inherited quilt top or something of sentimental value--when they don't have the skills. Our quilt group did one recently for a mother who wanted her grandmother's incomplete top quilted so that she could give it to her son. Unfortunately, the time involved is so great that there is no way they can reasonably compensate you for your time. We tracked the time we spent on this quilt--as a group--and I think the payment, which was a generous donation to a charity of our choice, wound up being less than 50 cents an hour.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM

I love good hand quilting. About a decade ago, I looked at the price of a yummy h.q. bed quilt (size???) in an Amish shop; the price was well over $1,000.00. I do some hand quilting, so I figure that price was not outrageous, but doubt that (in this current economy, especially) there are many people who can afford to pay that much money for a quilt. Nevertheless, I think you should do as thorough a research as possible.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 AM

I took the time to figure about what price I would charge for a Crib Quilt as that is mostly what I do. If it is a larger quilt I hand quilt by sections, then put together.

This is what I came up with::
The Amish Charge by the thread yardage $1.10 per yard.
A 400 yard spool of thread has 11.4 yards.
According to that calculation I would charge $75.00 for 45X45 inch crib quilt.

This would also depend upon the time it takes to quilt the quilt.

For instance, whatever time it took to use a needle full of thread, 5 minutes example, I would lower the price accordingly.

Since minimum wage is around $6.00 per hour, that is what I would aim for: number of hours X number of needles at 5 minutes per needle.

I have one ready to start. In a day or two will come back with further calculations and pricing.

Keep in mind, the more thread you use, the higher you would price a quilt.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Originally Posted by sweetpea
good luck too you with this. I have been hand quilting for peolpe for years. I can not get much work. but maybe in your area you will have better luck. Just so you know I'm not a bad quilter I quilting 12 to 14 stitch preinch. nad have won prizes for the quilting i have done.
wow....thats awesome...ok i guess i will just give up on the idea bc doesnt really seem to be a market for it.
I would think it would be the timeframe more than the hand quilting. I can get a quilt longarmed in about a week, but I expect it takes a whole lot longer than that to hand quilt.