Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff >

Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff

Please help me decide!!! Janome or pfaff

Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM

I am a Pfaff fan so my vote is for the Pfaff. But which ever one you choose be sure you know the reason for selling and test drive first. Also would be nice to the latest service receipt.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I have the 4.0. It was one of the earlier ones and many problems, the dealer worked on it and replaced many parts and it is now working good, but I still don't love it. I think it let me down too many times and I am bitter. LOL. However
It's OK now. But you might have to be prepared to pay for part replacements if it's an earlier model

I think the janome is overpriced for 5 years old, but then again, maybe it has not been used a lot. Some people buy
Sewing machines and never use them, CRAZY PEOPLE
Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM

I'd be inclined to opt for the Pfaff. For starters, it has less mileage on it than the Janome.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM

I just bought a new Janome 6600P for $1500...dealer wouldn't budge, so good luck! I like mine.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Becky,
Since you live in my neck of the woods I'll share with you the deal I just got last month. I bought a used Janome Horizon for $1500 from Montavilla at Fabric Depot. You might check them out. It came with 3 years of free maintenance, parts and cleaning. Mine came from a previous owner but I heard them say that they had some classroom models available. If they don't have something in your price range make sure you ask them call for used models (if that's what your looking for) at their other stores. I can't give you my true opinion of my Janome yet because I haven't used it enough. So far I have enjoyed using it. I also own a Pfaff classic style and really like it and love the IDT. I just wanted something that I could do a little more with.

Micha
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM

I just paid $1900 for a new Janome Horizon so I think that is way too much for a used machine. Mine came with the table and lots of feet.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 AM

The MSRP for a new Janome 6600P is $2199 according to the website. Perhaps it is the part of the country I am, in but the best deal I could make on a new one was 1799. The QS threw in a few goodies with it but where would one be available for 1300.00?

mariah
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 AM

I would go with the Janome, my 10000 is 10 years old, has lots of miles on it and still is quiet, powerful, and doesn't vibrate like my New Viking does. But go to a Janome dealer first, they have used machines and they are reasonable.
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
You need to go to a dealer then. You'd get a warranty and probably a lot of support that you won't get online!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 AM

I went with a girlfriend to test drive some machines.....She ended up buying a Pfaff Quilt Expression as it out sewed the Janome and Viking machines she tried (Not saying those aren't good machines)....plus the Pfaff had the built-in walking foot, which is fabulous.....Bernina is my choice of machines, but they are so pricey (parts are too) that I am leaning towards the Pfaff.....Bottom line personal preference and performance is what it's all about.....Good Luck in your search....
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 AM

I also feel that the prices on Craigslist are way out of line. They can ask what they want but you don't have to pay it.
I know you can find a brand new or lightly used (not 5yrs) one for about the same money. Go to Alko sewing on the web, get their number and call, I purchased both of my Janome machines from them and got very good deals. I'm a Janome fan, can't ya tell.