Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What about muslin? >
  • What about muslin?

• What about muslin?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 AM

if your square is smaller than size of printed telephone directory distributed by local phone supplier........the pages are nice and thin and the ink has been aged so makes great foundation
    Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM

I agree with you. I purchased some online, turned out to be very flmisy, like cheesecloth almost. I still have it, used a lot for dusting, cleaning, etc.
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 AM

I finished a string quilt recently. I used 14" squares. I bought the muslin at 40% off at Joanes and had a huge quanity. I like it because it is soft and easy to work with. You don't have to remove the muslin when finished. I have used newspaper, but I don't like removing it when I am finished sewing the block.
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

If it is just for the foundation under the piecing, most any would do because your quilting will hold it all together after you are done. If it is part of the top of the quilt, then buy the best you can. Muslin is usually the first fabric to start fraying as the quilt ages.
    Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Oh yes I ditto this....muslin is great...I love the unbleached kind and use it in my tops....I love the cotton smell of the unbleached. But for a foundation I use old sheets, pillowcases etc. Since you are machine stitching the fabric does not have to be "thin". Some times I use a flannel sheet then the quilt does not need a batt, just back and quilt. Also flannel is a great interfacing for bags. Just look at the label.....cotton is best, but nothing over a 50-50 blend. One or two cotton queen size sheet will be enough to make lots of projects and yes the price is right. I usually never spend over a dollar.
    Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I thought with foundation piecing you sew to a fabric backing? Using paper means to tear the backing. Did I misunderstand something?
    I have been making quilts for a long time now. I was taught by my dear Mother in law Emma. We were very poor and lived on a cattle ranch. Not only was there not much money but not much shopping and not too many trips into town. We "shopped" for fabric at white elephant sales and thrift shops. Back then most clothing was made with 100% cotton fabric. The first quilt I entered in the County Fair was string pieced onto old newspaper with a flannel sheet as a bat. No you don't have to tear off the paper, just leave it in and with the first wash it will just melt into the batting. It is wood fiber mostly so it blends with both poly or cotton. If the newspaper is at least a week old the ink is dry and will not rub off. If you are still reluctant you can go to the local newspaper and buy the partial rolls of newsprint, they are two short for a paper run but still have hundreds of feet left. I pay one or two dollars. It also makes great paper for kids to draw and paint on also. Oh yes and that quilt I made with the newspaper, it won a blue ribbon. Emma said that is how her mom did it, she said leaving the paper in just gave you some extra warmth. I also re-use old exhausted dryer sheets, I am allergic to most every thing including scents. I buy unscented to start with and then go from there. I have never had a problem with them in quilts. If Emma taught me anything it was " Use it up, wear it out, or do without" I swear that woman was recyclingng genius long before recycling was heard of...I saw her once take a bag of old double knit pants some one had given her, and they were faded and worn to the max, and turn them into the some great looking re-upholstered kitchen chairs. I think she could have made bindweed jelly if she turned her hand to it.
    Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I use the cheap cotton fabrics from Wal-mart for my string piecing foundations, t doesn't matter if its muslin;
    just so long as its cotton. I found a really ugly fabric, nobody will see it in the finished quilt.
    Sharon W. in Texas
    Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, so I may be repeating = be sure to prewas muslin. I shrinks a lot. I prewash at least 3 times in hot water, and it shrinks eachtime! I buy the wrinkle-free muslin. It's worth the extra cost, because it saves a LOT of time ironing.
    Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM

That fabric should work well as a foundation.Have fun with your string quilt.Please share when done.
    Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM

I would use muslin. I used for my biscuit quilt that I made about 12 years ago and still look great.