Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from a New Quilter in Sunny Florida >

Hello from a New Quilter in Sunny Florida

Hello from a New Quilter in Sunny Florida

Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Hi, Holly. We are winter neighbors. I'm in Palm Harbor, right off 19 by Walmart. I suggest you might want to attend a local guild, the one in Palm Harbor is awesome. Meets Wed am at the rec center by the Y.

Happy quilting! If I didn't play bridge, I'd never get away from sewing.

My stash is mostly the result of buying 1/2 yard or 1 yard more of every fabric than what was needed for the project at hand. When buying for stash, usually buy small amounts fabrics when they are on sale. And I inherited my two aunts' and my mother's leftover fabric, although most of that was for clothing.

A sampler might be a good first project. You can make many different blocks, using a variety of techniques, and see what you like.

Last edited by Krisb; 12-23-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Hi Holly! What a beautiful wall hanging! That's beautiful for anyone, not just a first try! Good for you for taking a class to begin with. Keep it up! We learn so much from other people, and from places like this Quilting Board. You can teach us what you learn in class.

One of the things I did to build a stash was to visit places like the Salvation Army and Goodwill. I wasn't expecting to find "quilt quality" material there, but I did find a while lot of "practice fabric", and that's been important to me. I've practiced my scant ¼" seams, over and over, until I could make a 6" block come out at 6" square. (I won't tell you what it was like when I started). I've practiced all sorts of odd shapes. In fact, I won't start a quilt until I've done the blocks on my practice fabric over and over again until I'm comfortable that I'm doing them right and they're coming out squared. I don't like to practice on expensive fabric! I've been using old floral fabric and making "free motion quilting sandwiches" and practiced my free motion quilting by trying to go around big flowers first, then medium sized flowers, and I'm working my way toward smaller flowers. I've got all sorts of prints to practice on, and the nice thing is that I bought them all so cheaply, it doesn't matter if I just throw them away. I bought a very nice set of sheets, and I've made pillow cases, nicely decorated, to finally fit the pillows on my bed. The ones that had come with my sheet set were too small. Anything really nice, like velvet, brocade, satin, decorator fabric, etc., is slowly (very slowly) being worked into a Crazy Quilt. I started with muslin foundation squares, with finished edges, and am just sewing a block at a time, bits and pieces as I go along. Eventually, when the blocks are done, I'll quilt the blocks to a batting and backing, which won't completely quilt it, but if I slip a quilting stitch here and there along a seam line on each block, and then embroider over the quilting stitch, I'm thinking it will be perfect. But enough of me.

We were talking about building stashes. So that's my "practice stash", and like the others, I pick up extra fabric when I shop for quilts, and fabric that just catches my eye, and I just have to have it. Where I really scored is that I go to a lot of yard sales and estate sales, and I've picked up some good fabric there. But at this one Estate Sale, I scored Big! The lady had a sewing room, and it was stuffed with fabric. Someone had already taken the sewing machine, and the son was anxious to clean out the sewing room. He told me I could have any and/or all the the fabric for a flat $100. We are talking about bags and bags and bags of fabric. It totally filled up my Toyota Camry to the point where I had to make two trips. And you could see where she had been sewing off the top of her stack, or in other words, the oldest part, and the fabrics on the bottom were brand new, still in their packaging. And the bolts of fabric! I was incredulous! Barely squeezed everything in on my second trip. So, instant stash!

There were a lot of "Baby Fabric" in that stash, and I only have 2 little ones to sew for, so I picked out a few yards of what I wanted, and donated the rest to a group in town that makes quilts for preemies and sick children. It was a huge amount, including several full bolts of material, and they were thrilled to get it. That cut the stash down to a manageable size for me. The fabric is all good stuff, straight out of our local quilt shop, top of the line material. I'll be quilting right out of this stash for years.

So the point is, keep your eyes open, and realize that there are different fabrics for different uses, and you can find fabrics in places you hadn't imagined. Even right here on the Quilting Board!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Welcome from Port Charlotte, Fl. I find that I have always kept scraps from the projects I have made and at times have over bought fabric. I also have a habit of buying some yds if I see a fabric I really love or even the Fat Quarters (FQ). LQS is local quilting store and there s/b a place on here and I can't see it but it will tell you what some of these abbr.'s mean. Good Luck. Also as far as new patterns look on here at the pics they show some beautiful quilts that may help you decide on a pattern. I have a subscript to Fon's & Porter and also belong to their quilting site I think it is $29. and you can apply to Joanne's Fabrics for a discount card for 10 % off purchases. Plus they also have a site free for their programs and you can find free patterns if you are a member. I'm sure on here you'll also get a lot of good ideas. Their are a lot of quilting places online for kits like Connecting Threads. I'm sure there are other places also. Quilters World subscrip is also good. Have fun. Sue
Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 PM

welcome from western Ky! I just added to my stash, went to Handcocks of Paducah, (not to be confused with the Handcocks chain stores) Had a lovely time in there, (the staff is wonderful) I found close to 50 yards of lovely batik fabric I just could not leave with out. So much fun getting it home and folding it to put on my shelf. Some of the fabric is 108" wide backing, I found some deep blue, a black pasley, rust redwith flowers, off whites too. I have a rather small stash, some have huge stashs, find what is best for you, and go with that. happy stitching!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 PM

Welcome from southern Utah. You will find lots of help here. and good ideas about tutorials. I suggest you use Youtube and MissouriQuiltCompany tutorials. I have been quilting for a long time, and have learned so much from those 2 places. Sit back, strap on your seat belt girlfriend.....you are in for a fun ride!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Welcome from Dunedin! Looks like there are lots of us in the same area.

Krisb - I'm interested in that quilt guild in Palm Harbor - we go to that Y - I'm just a beginner, too.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM

A big welcome from the state of Texas.

The main source of my stash building has come from family, friends and fabric left overs from quilts I have made. Once I decided I was serious about quilting and someone asked me to give them a hint as to what I would like for my birthday, Mothers Day or Christmas, I say a fabric suitable for quilting and if they ask, I tell them the colors I would like to have to build my stash. They also bring me odds and ends from their mother aunt or grandmother who no longer quilt as well as the neighborhood garage sales.

You can find free patterns on line, check out quilting books at the library or purchase books and magazines at the half price book stores. Often, you will find books and magazines for sell her on the board.

Happy quilting. I know you are gonna love it.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Welcome from Lebanon Oregon! Stash building is easy. There are times when we Need to visit the quilt store and pick up a few pieces of fabric just because. There are many free quilt patterns out there to choose from, so many magazines full of new ideas and so many wonderful quilts to look at here on the quiltingboard. I have seen many on this site that I want to do!! Have fun browsing around.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM

HI HOLLY! Welcome from Port Saint Lucie Florida lots of free patterns here look

http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 AM

OOPS!

http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...-patterns.html