Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book? >
  • What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

• What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM

many years ago i used the georgia bonesteel books, i still have them, plus she had a show on tv, a big help she was. now there r sew many i like eleanor burns and i know there r quite a few
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    I teach Learn to Quilt classes at my LQS and use Alex Anderson's Start Quilting (2nd ed.) because that's what the owner wants me to use. It's a good basic book that covers all areas but I feel that its audience would be 4-H or school age kids. I much prefer Harriet Hargraves' Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 Freshman Year because it is written at a higher level and goes more in depth about accuracy, which I believe will be useful in the long run. If you know the sewing/quilting level of the group you are teaching, that will help you to choose the best book. Good luck.
    Thanks for that assessment, it's very helpful!
    Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR
    I'm going to be teaching my Beginner Quilting Class again soon at my shop. While I've never used a book for the class, I would like have some basic books on hand for my students in case they would like a reference book. I'm looking for something that covers all the basic steps in making your first projects - piecing, quilting, binding - not just one particular quilt. So what are your favorite beginner books??
    I personally really like and use BETTER HOMES and GARDENS COMPLETE GUIDE to QUILTING
    I bought mine on ebay.
    Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM

I can't remember if mine is BH&G or not. It's the only book or resource at all that I have actually bought since there are so many free things on line. Mine is a Complete Guide to Quilting...everything you need to know from A to Z". I loved mine. I was on a tight budget and it killed me to shell out the 20 bucks for it, but I've never regretted it.

I had NO background in sewing at all. Didn't know anything about fabric or sewing or anything. No home-ec classes, no tutes from my mom or grandma or anything like that. I learned all about fabric and machine BASICs, then how to use rotary cutter and just every basic need with that book. It is often my go-to book even though it's 9 years and 30 quilts ago.
    Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    The red covered book- "Your first Quilt book or it should be " by Carol Doaks was the first one I bought
    I agree that this is a terrific book for beginners. The "tips" alone are worth the cost of the book.
    Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JaneH
    What's the exact title, please? I just looked at their website and there are tons of books.

Thanks.

Jane
    "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter.
    Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM

The first quilting book I bought, in 1993 by Oxmoor House, was Quilter's Complete Guide by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter. I still use this book as a reference quide, as I just can keep all those mattress sizes and triangle formulas in my head.
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by gailinva
    BH&G Complete Guide to Quilting...........everything in one book, good price $19.95 and at Joanne's (coupon).
    I have several learn to quilt books mentioned by others but Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is my all-time favorite go-to book for great explanations of all basic techniques. I've given it to others getting started. Big thumbs-up from me. It's available on Amazon as well at a good price.
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    The red covered book- "Your first Quilt book or it should be " by Carol Doaks was the first one I bought
    This was my first book also.
    Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM

I too bought the BH&G guide to Quilting great for the math help alone! I have a few E Burns books and her directions are great. Another great resource if someone in your Beginners class gets bitten by the "bug" is the Quilter's Catalog. Tons of information on everything and everyone Quilting!