Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
I have found decent fabric at Wal-Mart and I have felt crappy fabric at Walmart. That being said, I think that you should buy the best you can afford for the project you are designing. My mom used many types of fabric when making her scrappy quilts. These quilts were made to stay warm and some of them are in use to this day. (And she's been in heaven for 8+ years. I tend to use LQS or Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Hancock's. Depends on situation.
I usually buy at my LQS, or Hancocks. I seldom buy at Joann's but since the store is moving, parking,traffic will be nicer at there new location. I love this board, I learn so much, everyone is the best. Thanks to you all.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM

I have bought fabric from WalMart before they pulled the department. Great quality. Now I can't buy it since they brought back the department -- can't find anyone who knows how (or is authorized to) cut fabric. I admit there is less nice stuff in the new department -- you have to watch for thin, flaws, holes, etc.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM

I stay clear of Walmart.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

My husband last year bought a piece of their(Wal mart) $9:50 per yard leather like fabric which is real nice. I buy what I like, when I like, where I like. I don't quite understand the issue. I mean I understand if there is a particular type of fabric that one place doesn't have, but another one I am at does, well then that is where I will get it, but I don't not buy fabric at a place just because of the sign name above the door. If you do, great, that is your choice. It all comes down to choices, so each to there own. It is kind of like opinions and noses (we each have one). lol....
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
My dh seen fabric at wally world and thought that was something I would like to look at! Bless his heart
So I am always game to go to a fabric department, it was nice, not sure about the quality of the fabric though? Any opinions on this? Has anyone bought much there?
Here is mine
Fabric-not sure
Service-not great
Appearance-looks great

I did buy some Christmas fabric on clearance and some other material to make a quick quilt that didn't look to bad..
I buy fabric from anywhere I can get it. Location of purchase has absolutely nothing to do with quality, it only matters for price. I've had good and bad fabric from LQS, JoAnn, WalMart, Hancocks, etc. You have to look and feel carefully no matter where you buy from. BTW, the worst experience with fabric I've ever had was with a LQS fabric -- bled like its throat was cut and ravelled something fierce. If it hadn't been for a special quilt for my neice, I would have lit it on fire.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

In our area, Wal-Mart got rid of all the fabric departments several years ago. Then last summer they brought fabric back in one store.

Fabric is basically typical chain-store fabric, but no holiday fabrics. They also have some "special purchase" lines of very inexpensive and also very yucky (IMHO) fabric. They carry VIP, Springs, and Fabric Traditions and those you should have no problems with, should you buy them.

Service? And appearance? In my local store, this department is clearly unloved by the management. They didn't even get a proper sized cutting table for the staff to use. I think they put the department back in merely because an order came from "on high" and they plan on doing the absolute minimum. This is not to fault the few people who work in the fabric department. They are fine! It's a management problem that exists.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Our Walmart carries several different weights and grades of fabric. Both the apperance of the department and the service is great. Walmart has made major improvement in the fabric dept of our store within the last year.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Wow...what a touchy subject, even for as many times as this thread comes up! I, having worked at WalMart, walk through the fabric dept. every time I am there. I see and feel great fabrics all the time and in all price ranges. I have found great fabrics on the clearance table and can usually see a great quilt coming together with the fabrics chosen for their quilt of the month. For the limited area, and department personnel who have to work everywhere in the store I think they do a great job. I too support my local stores and I support Walmart as they are local too. JMHO
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
when my walmart had fabric BEFORE they removed it and brought it back they had 'better' fabric.. Now all we have is icky thin waste of money fabric..
I agree - you used to be able to find some quailty quilting material for a good price. Now that they reopened the department most of it is thin and random in pattern. You used to be able to find coordinating and blending pieces but no more in the yardage section of my store. Even the clerks will admit it's not the quality it was before.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 AM

Some of it is okay, others are very thin.