Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a human magnet for quilting gadgets! >

I am a human magnet for quilting gadgets!

I am a human magnet for quilting gadgets!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM

I think we should 'shop' each other's sewing rooms...like a shop hop! Stash and gadgets! Great idea BUT WAIT....I might need that gadget or I can't part with that fabric that one of you want ..... Never mind take my name off the hop list! LOL

I'm sure enjoying this thread.....
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 AM

Cindy,
Oh my goodness, you've made my day! I got home from work in a funk but you put a smile on my face! Thank You! You know even if there was a support group, I wouldn't join. that would mean I think I have a problem and we all know I don't! I'm happy this way. I don't know if anyone else is like this {I'm sure I'm the only one!} but if I see the word ruler I get all excited and have to stop and check it out! I keep saying I'm going to go through all my rulers and use each one of them. I suppose that would work if they stopped making new rulers! Whenever I see a new one I just can't understand how I've lived all my life without this ruler!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM

My problem is I buy the gadgets and then misplace them so buy another set. Lost ones are never seen again-seam rippers,1" wide rulers,small scissors . Get the idea? My kitten likes to help by hiding things but this stuff disappeared before he came. Any ideas on where they went?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM

Love your sense of humor! I know I can relate to what you've said I've given some stuff away to new quilters to help get them started and that has helped a bit. I just need to spend more time sewing and less time buying! Thanks for giving me a good laugh today. I needed it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I think we've all been there to some degree about certain quilting items, be it fabric, patterns, quilt books,quilting magazines, etc., etc. When we moved, I had to be ruthless (at least in my opinion - not my DH) to pare down what I had accumulated over the years and the not so great decision to move part of my sewing room upstairs, and yes, I found things downstairs that I bought for the upstairs sewing room because I couldn't find that particular "widget". Granted, we changed the sewing room after our daughter moved out and DH didn't want to heat 1/4 of the basement in the old NE winters. I am glad, however, that I called a halt to the fabric going out the door, and I'm glad I have that stash to sew with now when I certainly do not have the money to buy more fabric. On the positive side, my best quilting friend and certain charities were the beneficiaries of what I had to give away.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Oh my, I have all tht stuff too, and multiple sewing machines, but it the thread that will topple over my house, OMG I love thread, I'm already planning what thread I'm going to buy when the Sewing Expo is here is Aug. I try to sew faster to use up thread faster-every time I empty a spool it is exciting because I get to buy 2 spools to replace one-LOL
Maire
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM
T.

Thanks, Cindy for the laughs. I am also a human magnet, but just for any type "gadget". Here's an example: 6 vegetable peelers: one from college day, one from when we were first married, they are similar, just different handle types. One with the peeler on one side & a brush on the other; one with two different blades: one straight blade and one is like zigzag for fancy decorating (?) You can tell I have never tried that blade. I also bought one that is smaller triangular one, with the vegetable peeler and a small grater (where you hold it to peel). Then they came out with one that you slip your finger through it, and pass your palm over the vegetable to peel it. My husband took them all out & asked me which is my favorite to keep? I tried them all, and each time said "I like this one, and this one..." they all went back in the drawer. And speaking of graters...how about those with the box for the cheese or vegetables to fall in? The list goes on and on.
I think my family will just get a dumpster & dump the whole house content in there when I am gone, how sad And in the sewing room, at least 5 pairs of scissors, different lengths and different feels.
But you still win the prize, Cindy I will have to have my husband read your post.

Last edited by T.; 03-31-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 AM

Default I'm lovin this!

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
finished so here's the pics. I didn't do rulers as I have given an ENTIRE set of Ominigrid squares to a friend and I have a few that are out on loan. But I did count THREE add a quarters plus an add an eighth! Guess I was really into paperpiecing!

The one cabinet is in the main room and the other in the walk in

You make me feel sooooo good. I'm showing this post to my hubby. Can I come play at your house?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM

I can buy any gadget I need. But I usually have the dilemma of justifying the price to if I really need this or that new gadget.

I was looking at the blade sharpener sold on Nancy's Notions website. It's 25 bucks, but I use the HF blades and at a buck fifty for two I really can't see buying this. Now if I were using those OFLA blades, which just a few of those would equal the payment on my truck I could see buying it...LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
That's right. My hobby is buying quilting supplies and gadgets not using them.

Then my hubby asks the most innane questions like "What's the difference berween this gadget and that gadget? They look the same to me" He actually thinks I should know how to use them. Or the other classic--"When did you use this one last?" Well I made a baby quilt for Lexie with it. (Me being so proud!!) Isn't Lexie graduating this year. Well yes but I will need it again when she has a baby.

Then there is the problem of covers and cords. These things are like Tupperware. You have the bottom but not the lid or the machine but not the cord.

One last little box of doo dads, I need to vac under the sewing machine cabinet, better known as the Bermuda triangle for sewing machine feet and seam rippers, and then I am done.

I will post pics.
I am LOVING this thread. I guess there are more of us like you that I ever thought! Bermuda Triangle, boxes of doodads, missing parts and pieces - GUILTY! But vac under ANYTHING - I DON'T THINK SO!!! That's where the monsters live.