Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern >

Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern

Need Advice on border for Crystal Star Pattern

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM

I love the pattern but I don't care for the border at all. Not the same style of the wall hanging. see how you have the white pin strip on the outside. It might look good if you put the white and black as you have it then colors from the pattern in pin strips
. so it would be white black then a few different colors of pin stripes. maybe blues and green or what ever colors you want to pull from the quilt
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM

1st off, great work. Your first paper piecing? Beautiful.

Agree with the others that you don't need the floral border. Keep it for another project.
If you need/want the wall hanging to be larger... maybe you could add more of the black print with the next shade darker (yellow?) border. I'm guessing it's a pale yellow stripe just off the star.

Whatever you decide, it is REALLY nice.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by doodledo View Post
I love the star. My eye draws to the border when I look at the picture. If it was mine, I would want the eye to be drawn to the star. I wouldn't put a border. But that's just me. It is very nice!
I agree! Realy lovely quilt!!!! Great job!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Believe it or not but the pattern shows a border used but after reading all the entries, I'm to the agreement I really don't need a border so may just leave it off. I knew if I brought this question up I'd get some great advice and suggestions. Right now it measures about 41 inches square. The original pattern was 52 square. I'm hanging this above the bed posters. The bed quilt I've planned to make is the Labyrinth so I'll use the border fabric for that............maybe.

Thanks again for the insight on the border issue. Just in case anyone wants to check out this pattern, here is Jinny's page....................

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerc...52BBA8F71963B5
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 AM

Just read your post !!! bit slow of the mark!!!!
What a beautiful quilt, if it was mine I don't think I would add a border
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Believe it or not but the pattern shows a border used but after reading all the entries, I'm to the agreement I really don't need a border so may just leave it off. I knew if I brought this question up I'd get some great advice and suggestions. Right now it measures about 41 inches square. The original pattern was 52 square. I'm hanging this above the bed posters. The bed quilt I've planned to make is the Labyrinth so I'll use the border fabric for that............maybe.

Thanks again for the insight on the border issue. Just in case anyone wants to check out this pattern, here is Jinny's page....................

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerc...52BBA8F71963B5
Guess what???? I don't like hers with the border either. That star is just so stunning that any border really detracts from it.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 AM

I agree with doodledo...the border fabric is gorgeous but just too much for this quilt. Honestly I don't think you need any more borders for this quilt...maybe a another in the same fabric as your narrow border but doesn't need it. Just my opinion. Another thing I noticed is that your star has so many more colors in it that are not in the border print that it takes away from the star.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 AM

This is gorgeous on its own. I'd leave the solid boarder and let the piece shine! If you need it larger, a second pinstripe and black would just accent the center even more, I think. Try it first with the fabric and see what it looks like!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM

Although the border is very pretty & has a lot of the star colours in it & I like it a lot, I would probably not add it -maybe a plain border or none at all. That wall hanging is spectacular without a border & I feel it might take away from that "wow" factor if you add one that is busy. IMHO. Fantastic job !!!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Vat

Love the star ! ! ! Would NOT use that piece for the border ! ! I would take the black border you have on it already and replace with a wider black border and a small (1/4") black binding and call it finished. It is beautiful ! ! !