Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first? >
  • Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

• Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM

I like that, going to try it. I've done baby quilts that way, so why not large ones too...
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 AM

I go from back to front then stitch. My back is normally large enough to wrap around to make binding
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 AM

If your going to machine bind stitch to back and machine stitch on the front. If your going to hand sew , stitch your binding to front and turn to the back and hand sew.Hope thi helps ???
    Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    for hand finishing, i sew to the front first. when machine finishing, i sew to the back first.
    Me too. Any quilt that I think will be washed a lot I finish by machine to make it sturdier. Machine stitching the front down looks fine!!
    Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 AM

for hand finishing, i sew to the front first. when machine finishing, i sew to the back first.
    You can also machine sew to the front and machine finish from the front also. The process used is "Stitch in the Ditch". You have to press the front seam open well so you can see that seam line ditch. Turn the binding to the back and use School Glue to hold the binding so that it just covers the seam line by about 1/8 of an inch. Glue the corners well also. Then turn it to the front and stitch in the ditch. It goes so fast, and if it is glued in place well you don't miss spots. You could also put a decorative stitch on the front this way, too, if you wish.
    Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM

Susan,
    I sew the binding strip to the back and turn it over to the front and then stitch it down. I make my quilts entirely by machine as I can't do all the hand sewing. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and can't do all the hand work.
    If anyone has a problem with me doing the bindings like I do; I suggest that they could do all the hand work if they'd like to.
    Sharon
    Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Since I taught myself how to quilt before there were classes or the Internet, I looked at quilts my grandmother had made. She pieced by hand and machine, but quilted her pieces by hand. Before she married, she was a seamstress. She was very fussy -- so I was never tempted to ask her "how" to quilt. Twenty years later, I regretted that.

That being said, she sewed bindings on the back of her quilts, and hand stitched it onto the front. I have one of her quilts that the backing was made larger that the front and became the binding that was hand stitched to the front. That binding has not worn as well as the ones w/individual bindings stitched on last. Knowing that, I stitch the binding onto the back, and hand-stitch it to the fronts of my quilts.
    Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM

This is what I do too.
    Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 AM

I always sew my binding on the back, and flip to the front to hand sew with blind stitch. I sew small stitches, and I just like the look of it. It gives me some thing to do while TV at night.
    Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM

I attach the front first and slipstitch the back. So sorry you can't do any hand stitching at all.
    I had cts in both hands but minor surgery made them good as new.