Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Marking a Quilt >
  • Marking a Quilt

• Marking a Quilt

Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Thank you for sharing.
    Old 08-26-2013, 03:14 AM

What a very clever idea. I am in the process of doing my first double bed block FMQ quilt and this will come in handy.
    Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Inspired creative solution! Thanks ever so much for the clear and helpful tutorial!
    Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Love this idea!
    Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Mrs. Beasley,You mentioned that you've used a number of different kinds of pens to mark the tulle. Have you ever had a problem with the ink from the pens transfering to your quilt? Some time ago, I tried tracing a design to tulle using a Sharpie. I thought because Sharpie advertises that their ink is permanent, the ink wouldn't transfer to anything else. I used one of the water soluable Mark B Gone pens to trace the design to the quilt. The Sharpie ink started to turn the tip of the water soluable ink pen( was one of light blue markers) dark and a slight trace of the dark ink was left on the quilt and couldn't be removed. The blue ink of the WS pen did disapear but not the trace of dark ink. Fortunately the quilt was just a fun quilt for a granddaughter and not an heirloom! Sure would appreciate hearing what your experience might be.
    Chris
    Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Great ideas..thank you for sharing!
    Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chris48
    Mrs. Beasley,You mentioned that you've used a number of different kinds of pens to mark the tulle. Have you ever had a problem with the ink from the pens transfering to your quilt? Some time ago, I tried tracing a design to tulle using a Sharpie. I thought because Sharpie advertises that their ink is permanent, the ink wouldn't transfer to anything else. I used one of the water soluable Mark B Gone pens to trace the design to the quilt. The Sharpie ink started to turn the tip of the water soluable ink pen( was one of light blue markers) dark and a slight trace of the dark ink was left on the quilt and couldn't be removed. The blue ink of the WS pen did disapear but not the trace of dark ink. Fortunately the quilt was just a fun quilt for a granddaughter and not an heirloom! Sure would appreciate hearing what your experience might be.
    Chris
    No, Chris, I've never had that problem. I've used dollar store markers, pencils, a ball point pen, perhaps I've just been lucky. I can't remember ever using a 'Sharpie'. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. When I get stains on a quilt I'm working on, I usually grab my 'Mr Clean Magic Eraser', but I don't know if it would take out permanent marker. Perhaps someone else on the board can offer you a hint. How soon after marking the tulle did you start marking? I'm thinking that some chemical in the water soluble ink reacted with the Sharpie ink to dirty up the tip in the blue pen. Has anyone else had a reaction like this?
    Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Wow great tutorial and idea, thank-you.