Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts >

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Anybody do their own Kid's Haircuts

Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM

We had 4 boys so it would have cost way too much to take everyone for haircuts so I always cut the boy's hair. I dont remember ever having a problem getting them to sit still. I think just the thought of having a big chunk cut out by mistake if they moved too much was enough to make them sit still.

Now they are grown and gone but i still often cut my husband's hair. It really saves a lot of money Nd he is very satisfied with it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM

I buzz cut my husband's hair last night. Today it is longer in some spots but he doesn't care and wouldn't let me touch it up. He has wanted to do this a long time. It is about an inch all over.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

DH cuts every ones hair and grooms my long haired doggie too. He even does my son in laws. We have 14 kids so there are plenty of heads. He also colors my hair. It would be unaffordable to pay for all those hair cuts. My kids are continuing the tradition and some even make a little money cutting hair.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mundy View Post

ok ladies I do hair for my living,I;ve also corrected quite a few mess ups to hair cuts and other things evey one dose at home this is the reason why there is a price, and we had to pay an price also thanks for letting me air this out!!! Mundy
AMEN!!! And the haircut looks so much nicer when cut by a professional. IMHO and experience! Worth the $$$

Sandy
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

A hair dresser does a better job then DH and definitely needs to be paid for their work. It is just one of those areas, like many others, to try and save some money in a hard economy.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by scarlet14 View Post
Just remember to tell them to not look up when you are trimming their bangs and not hold them [the bangs ]when the harpir is wet---stretches-- and bangs will be way too short---this is from a retired hairstylist
I learned that fact the hard way! I held my daughter's bangs down after she got out of the shower, and trimmed them. After her hair was dried, her bangs were so short, they stuck out straight from her forehead! She was about six or seven years old. That was the last time she allowed me close to her with a pair of scissors!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 AM

When my boys were little I would put them on a tall stool in front of Saturday morning cartoons on the TV and cut their hair while they were mesmerized by the cartoons.
Not sure how DD keeps DGS still while she does his. But she does a good job on it. Probably gives him his iPad. Lol!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Many years ago we were getting ready to move from San Fernando Valley in CA up north to the Mojave Desert. My husband had been wanting me to learn how to cut his hair, so he said that when we moved if I didn't learn to cut his hair he was going to shave it. Well, I didn't want that so a barber from our church invited us over to his home one night and he taught me. I've done it for 34 years now.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 AM

Some 35+ years ago my husband-to-be took me to Sears to buy a barber kit. Every since, I have been his barber not only cutting his hair (with scissors), but styling his hair every morning after he has just washed it. We have this little ritual each morning with Bella (Avatar) sitting on my husband’s lap. When I complete using the dryer on my husband, I run it across Bella‘s main body…..she loves it. She just sits their patiently waiting for her turn. What I get a kick out of is when I feel it is time to cut my DH’s hair, he occasionally says, “not tonight, I’m not in the mood”. I tell him, “You don’t need to be in the mood, you just sit there…. I need to be in the mood if you want a good cut”. The last couple of months he has had his hair done by a professional since I am recovering from right hand surgery, and he has hated it. Guess my job is secure! I always cut my two son’s hair when they were growing up. Oh, and I cut
/Groom Bella. Now tell me, is my husband spoiled….or what?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

My husband and I met some other friends for lunch today. one lady has a nice short hair cut that she says she does herself. She has a Flowbee (spelling) and it has different cutters you attach depending on how short or long you want your hair. it attaches with a hose to your vacuum cleaner. No hair all over yourself or your floor. she's had this thing for years though. i'm going hunting!!!