Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gingher scissors >

gingher scissors

gingher scissors

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM

I'm sure I've had my Ginghers for 25 yrs. Minnesota Fabrics (in the old days) aka Hancock fabrics; had Columbus Day sales on scissors.......I bought many a pair for relatives. I think they were 15.00 at that time. They made great gifts. I love mine!! My grandson has been warned about touching them! I asked him what would happen if he used them to cut paper? His reply, "I'd be dead meat". We both laughed. : )
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM

I have had mine for over 30 years. Paid $35 for them then, and told my DH and my boys NEVER to touch them for any reason if they valued their lives! They have never needed sharpening, stay in the case when not in use, and I love, love, love them.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 AM

I have 2 pair of 8" gingers (one with serrated edge) plus small 4" and I love them. However, because I keep another bag with supplies to take to class and I had a pair of gingers stolen once, I have begun to purchase Kai. They are wonderful! Great sharp edge, easy to hold and lastly (and probably the best) much less expensive than Gingers. You can buy them at shows or on line and if you purchase on line they ship free.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM

I just bought a new pair of 8" Gingher Shears for my granddaughter from Jo-Ann's last month. I used a 50% off coupon. They were around $45.00 off the rack, but I paid less than $24.00 with the coupon!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 AM

You know Gingher has this fabulous reputation for scissors but I am the weirdo because I do not like them they are heavy can be very stiff and to me over priced. I prefer a light weight sharp scissor Omnigrid has a nice one Fiskars makes great scissors, Kia are awesome to cut with. Check out what other cutting tools are out there before you go with Gingher. Just my opinion and I am not attached to any company talked about.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I also purchased my Ginghers using a JAF coupon. My favorite are the duck bill for trimming threads. I have had all mine for over 2 decades and never have had to have them sharpened.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Gingers used to be my favorite until I discovered Kai Scissors. Not affiliated with the company other than being a satisfied customer. They can be found at kaiscissors.com They will sharpen them for you free for the life of the scissors. At least I think they still do that. Many of the ladies in my sewing club use Kai and love them as much as I do.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 AM

I have the 8" Ginghers brought through my Co. Extension Club for half price (I think something like $20) and a pair of the duck bill ones. They are quite heavy and I actually use my spring loaded Fiskars most. I love the small Fiskar snippers best.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM

I have had Ginghers and Fiskars. For my money, Fiskars are the better deal. I get them with a coupon and when they get dull, which may be after YEARS of wear, I let them into the household scissor drawer and get a new pair. I have sent Ginghers back to be sharpened, and they are never quite the same.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM

I got mine @ Joann's with a 50% off coupon...........my originals were confiscated by one of the granddaughters for paper craft projects - and could not be used for fabric any longer..........