Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gingher scissors >

gingher scissors

gingher scissors

Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Ginghers use to be the best you could buy. Now other brands are just as good. Ginghers are sold on Amazon for $15- $23. I bought several pair as house scissors. No one asks where the good scissors are or bothers my sewing room scissors. I have many different brands but I don't use scissors that much when making a quilt. There is only one pair of scissors I am protective of, my Nogent scissors.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 09-04-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 PM

I've got a pair of Mundial scissors with a cushioned handle that cut beautifully...got them with a coupon at Hobby Lobby. They are comfortable to use.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM

I bought a light weight ( black) pair of gingers at Jo Ann's with a coupon about 15 years ago, they still cut beautifully and then a small embroidery pair. never use anything else! Except my rotary cutter of course! LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of them picked them up over time at Joanns
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM

Thank you for letting me know I can send my Ginghers back to the company to be sharpened and adjusted. I have a pair that is hard to use because something is out of whack.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM

I have a pair of the 8 inch spring loaded scissors that were given to me as a going away present when I was leaving Hancocks. They cut like a hot knife through soft butter! And the spring loaded part keeps my hands from getting so tired.

As a younger boy I had a pair of clause that I saved up for. My brother used them to trim the roses. They were never the same again... After that I got a pair of mundial and kept a large padlock on them, locking the handles together. Didn't have to worry about them getting ruined. I still have them but need to sharpen them.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 AM

Ginghers are not what they used to be.Fiskars bought them out,that's why they seem to be more reasonable.....
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 AM

I have a pair and love them, but as some others said .. they do get heavy , and I find myself reaching for the light weight fiskars.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
My gingher scissors are the one thing in my house which are off limits. No one touches my ginghers, but me. I saved for them and to me cutting is like going through butter- smooth. They were pricey, but worth it. I have 2 pair- a designer dressmaker pair and a small 4" pair. I got the small ones at JoAnn's with a coupon. I got my bigger ones at my LQS.
My large Gingher scissors are off-limits too and have required no maintenance in the 30 years I have owned them. I also have the solid chrome nippers (at leas I think they are chrome!) which are super incredible!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM

I love my Ginghers. I have several pairs in various sizes. I do buy them a Joann's when they are on sale. I was told to only send them back to Gingher to have them sharpen. However, in 15 years I"ve never had to have mine sharpened. I'm very anal about my scissors and they are only used to cut fabric. Since I primarily use natural fiber fabrics the edge lasts a long time.