Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Houston International Quilt Show >
  • Houston International Quilt Show

• Houston International Quilt Show

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot
    i HOPE TO GO. I live in League City just about 10 miles from the convention center but I don't like going by my self because of the neighborhood. I say, Have a good time but don't walk around the area alone.
    Use the valet parking. You will sit in a well-lit area with other people while they retrieve your car.
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 AM

I will be there all afternoon friday, and all day saturday and sunday. My Quilt Guild also hosts a meet up saturday evening in the bar in the Hilton Americas Hotel. (houstonmodernquiltguild.blogspot.com) Everyone is welcome to come visit, there will be door prizes and lots of quilty fun!
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Marijeaux
    There is a great food court in The Shops at Houston Center two blocks from the GRB. Food is definitely better and much cheaper. Not many shops there. Just a great way to take a break, get some good food and fresh air. As far as the debit and credit card things go, if your card is getting swiped through a wireless thingy, your information can get captured by an unscrupulous person. Happened to us at a gun show. I only use my credit card now. No debit.
    Peak time for most of the office workers is 11:30 - 1:00 and the food court gets very crowded, so if you decide to go to The Shops food court, plan for a late lunch.

There is also a little cafe in Discovery Green. I don't know how pricy it is, but you can sit outside to eat.

I bring pre-paid VISA gift cards which I redeemed from my bank's reward program. I hoard those points all year to have the cards for Festival. I use those first and only break out the credit card if I have zeroed out the gift cards.

There is also a company that has the little Smart cars. The number is 877-GO-REV-GO. The fare last year was $6 per trip. And Houston also has bike racks in various places around the city that you can rent the bikes. I've never used them, so don't know anything about the cost.
    Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Have Fun! One day I'll get there.
    Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

This will be my third year. I look forward to Quilt Festival all year. First year I went alone. Two days. Last year my cousin came down from Dallas and we together. Had a great time. This year will do two day, maybe three if my feet hold up. A friend and I are going. It will be all new to her, so that makes me excited. I always book one of the lunch lectures on one day. The food is good, and it is a great opportunity to meet other festival goers from all over the world. Then each day I book a lecture. This is a great opportunity to sit down, rest your feet and learn something from some really incredible quilters. I have not taken any classes yet, because with just two days, I don't have time enough to see all the quilts, and visit all the vendors and take classes too. If you have never been, and don't have anyone to go with, don't be discouraged. We are all quilters, so you will meet plenty of like minded people to talk too.

I go early enough to park across the street. It also gets me ahead of the crowds.
    Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM

For PIQF, a 4 day festival, a friend and I went 3 days. We planned 2-3 hours with a snack break, lunch break & rest at the hotel, then 2-3 hours at the festival with another snack break. With our medical problems we needed snack breaks, amazing hour 1-2 hours of walking affects the blood sugar. Candy bars are not an option, we had granola bars. The first day was vendors, we should have marked the agenda for which we might want to return to. The second was vendors and some of the quilts. The third was quilts and return to some specific vendors.

We both made a list of what we wanted to hunt for. She wanted to look at LA and I was game to see what the latest features are. I wanted thread, as did she, so we went to all the thread locations. I should have taken my color charts with ones I have marked. I did get a spool of some new brands to try on my machines. Then since I've been many times, there were my favorite spots. She liked those too. Then it's just look around for what's new. There's a hand dye place I always want to go, but didn't have anything in mind.

I take cash. When it's gone, I'm finished shopping. If there's a big ticket item I want, there are great deals at the big shows. I plan to charge that item. This is my method of staying on a budget. If I charge things, the top is unreachable. Then I pay for the purchases I got because it was just so exciting and I lost control.

Since we plan a back-to-hotel break every 2-3 hours, I take a big bag I can carry and drop in purchases. It has a small pocked to put my cash, way down to the bottom. I don't carry my purse, just my essentials; water, snack, meds, drivers license, cell phone, cash and coin purse. Most places don't allow rolling carts, too dangerous in crowded building.

Some hotels offer free shuttle. I really like not having to deal with parking. Another option is to stay in the host hotel.
    Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 AM

It's according to whether you want to see the display quilts or see the vendors or see the newest in sewing machines. All brands are represented and are the newest & greatest. The main category quilt winners are on display as you go into the quilt area. It is inspiring to see the creations and the details that go into these gorgeous quilts. Those are a "must see". Try to find out which vendors you might would want to see in person. A lot of their websites will give you the booth number on their website. If you want to do several things, then set a timer. Come back next year with more time to stay!

If you want to see all the thread companies, they are all there, with every color you can imagine. So many beautiful fabric quilt kits. There is just so much to see. Enjoy what you can.

Originally Posted by Island Queen
    Barb, thanks for the great information. This will be my first trip to the quilt show. My daughter also lives in Houston. I have been down there every year that the show is on but never wanted to go alone. This year my DIL is going to fly down with me. I am really looking forward to it. We can only go on Saturday for about half day.
    Any suggestions?
    Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM

OK I got one thing wrong in this list. The carts that you can rent & ride if you are physically challenged are allowed in all the IQF areas. People riding them frequently get upset because there are so many other people there that they are very hard to actually get anywhere on....especially in the vendor area. Lots more space in the quilt display area. The rolling walkers with the seats are also allowed. I don't know if you have to show an identification proving that you are physically handicapped to get them into the building.

The rolling carts I originally referred to was the flea market carts, or the 2 roller type shopping bag. My friend bought one of the TuTu (spelling?) and we picked it up at the end of the day. We were told we could NOT roll it in the vendor area. I picked up one end, she picked up the other and we carried it. Too funny!

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    I am fortunate that a friend & I have been going to the IQF for the past 5 years.

Some tips:

1. Bring extra really lightweight shopping bags that you can put the stuff you buy in. Last year the fee was $1 to check each bag. It's $1 every time you need to go back & add stuff to one of the bag. There is no fee for retrieving them, but you must have your receipts for the bags.
    2. Vendors do give away those type bags, but better be quick or they will be gone.
    3. Buy a program. It is the absolute best way to find the vendors.
    4. No wheeled carts are allowed in the vendor area. The show personnel have insisted you take them out in prior years.
    5. The Starbucks is on the second floor on the way out to the parking garage. I only visit Starbucks once a year, but I visit it Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. It's a great way to end the day.
    6. There are some bargains to be had Sunday. Think expensive quilt kits, sewing machines, quilting machines, etc
    7. A lot of the show quilts are under a no picture ban and they mean it.
    8. The lunch area looks VERY big, but get there early or wait until later. About noon, the lines get very long.
    9. All the days are crowded. There is no best day to go
    10. You will never see everything, not even all the vendors in a single day.
    11. All the shows back in the theatre area are a lot of fun, especially Eleanor Burns.

Biggest tip: Have fun!!!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-25-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM

I am going also. I live in the Texas hill country; so I go every year with a tour group. One of the members of my group has all of her large purchases shipped to her home by the individual vendors. Some take an extra piece of luggage for purchases. The tote gets heavy before the end of the day. But it is a great show.
    Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM

I live near Houston and will stay with DD to attend every day of the show. If you get to attend Preview night it is fun to see the quilts that won the large $5000, $7500 and even $10,000 cash prizes. That evening seems to be the best time to see the creators with their quilts. I always enjoy listening to them answer questions and talk about their work. I asked one winner with a fabulous quilt if she expected to win and she said she entered it the year before and it had not even been juried into the show.

I have spent days at the show alone and enjoy those days too. You can look and shop without being rushed or delayed by a friend's preferences. Anything can happen anywhere but I do not worry about using my credit cards. I have done it for many years without any problem. I do often get a call from my credit card company because of the different charges from so many different places. When I warned them this year to expect the charges they assured me that I can call and have the hold released if it were to happen.

There is usually a ' Meet the Teachers" area somewhere in the back of the exhibit side of the show. They have a schedule you can pick up. Different teachers give thirty minute talks about their techniques or special products. It is a good chance to sit down, is free, and is informative.

Houston's Quilt Festival is a marvelous experience and I look forward to it from one year to the next.