Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using muslin as quilt backing?? >
  • Using muslin as quilt backing??

• Using muslin as quilt backing??

Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 AM

I've been using muslin for the children's quilts lately. I order it thru my fabric store and its permapress with a very nice feel to it. It seems to hold up well too. Also like Moda muslin or their solid white. I throw all the leftovers I cut off after quilting it into my scrap tote for future sashings, blocks, etc.
    Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by alikigirl
    I have a King sized mystery quilt I started in about 2004, and just recently finished. Since it is so large, I thought I would use muslin as the backing. I was in Hobby Lobby and looked at the 108" wide muslin, and it was SOOO thin it reminded me of cheesecloth. Needless to say, I did not buy it.
    What are your thoughts on using muslin? Or does anyone know where I can get better muslin?
    Here in the U.K. what you call muslin we call calico.I always buy good calico, the one with little flecks in it.I then wash it on a high heat wash so it finishes with a lovely soft, slightly crinkled look.It can then be tea dyed or dyed a colour of choice.It is not very expensive and can come in a variety of widths, I always have a good stock of it.Love Letty
    Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by alikigirl
    I have a King sized mystery quilt I started in about 2004, and just recently finished. Since it is so large, I thought I would use muslin as the backing. I was in Hobby Lobby and looked at the 108" wide muslin, and it was SOOO thin it reminded me of cheesecloth. Needless to say, I did not buy it.
    What are your thoughts on using muslin? Or does anyone know where I can get better muslin?
    For soft and warmth I love Muslin. For color or show I use Flat colored sheets. I live muslin the best though.
    Old 10-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I buy either Moda or Kaufman muslin. The quality of muslin varies so widely that I stick to these two manufactures for wide muslin.
    Another good one I have found is Rock-Lon. It is as good as the Moda or Kaufman and I just bought some from Pieceworks about a month ago for $3.00 a yard. So far I have put it on the backs of 3 tops I have made for Christmas.
    Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
    Power Poster

The first quilt teacher I had told us to use sheets for backing, and I have on occasion, or I have used muslin. Muslin is like every other fabric out there, you need to pay attention when you buy it, like you said the muslin at Hobby Lobby was way too thin. You just need to be aware of whatever you are buying, muslin or fabrics.
    Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM

For quilts with so much color, the muslin is the perfect backing. The quilts are fabulous!
    Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 PM

I used muslin on a donation baby quilt. Not sure where I bought it. It felt like good quality when I found it in my stash. When I washed the quilt it shrunk a lot. I almost removed all of the quilting and redid it it shrunk so much. Just be careful with the muslin.
    Old 10-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady
    I use mluslin for almost all my quilts. I get it at Jo Anns when I have a good coupon. They have a good wgt one in the wide one. Go back and look some more. smile. I just happen to love the feel of muslin on the quilt.
    The brand of muslin I use from Joanne's is Legacy Premium I really like it and have used it on a lot of quilts and also use it on the front when I need to.
    Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 PM

If you are hand quilting, sheets can be difficult to needle through.
    Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    Of course you can use muslin, but know that every stitch shows on the back of the quilt. I mostly use prints on the back of the quilt, so it hides the stitches, the starts and stops. And it doesn't show the wear as fast. If you do beautiful quilting, then maybe you want your stitches to show, and muslin or another solid color would be a good back for you. I don't recommend sheets due to the high thread count.
    I love seeing the stitches on the back! I made a wall hanging and showed it to my mom, who used to do hand quilting. As soon as I gave it to her, she flipped it over to see the back so she could see the stitching!