Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does the thread really matter? >
  • Does the thread really matter?

• Does the thread really matter?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM

When I put that much money into fabric, sewing machine, batting etc. plus my hours upon hours of time, I want a good quality thread. I always buy Aurifil, Gutermann or Masterpiece from Superior Threads. When I do charity quilting at my church's quilting group, we are given cheap thread. That cheap stuff makes about 5 times more lint than the good stuff I normally use. I don't take my good machines to church quilting anymore because of it. I want to know that what I am making for myself or gifting to others is of a good quality and will hold up over time. Plus, one spool of thread-even when it is more expensive-lasts a long long time. It's well worth the investment to me.
    Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    When you put better thread in, did you first take the needle plate off and clean out the lint? The machines are very sensitive to all that. I cleaned mine the other day and was really shocked at the CLUMPS of lint in it. It was jamming a bit before that and I tried EVERYTHING before doing that. Easy fix--lint brush and blowing the lint out with a strong puff did the trick.
    Don't blow into your machine ( with your breath or canned air). It just pushes the lint in further where you can't reach it and only the sewing repair people can get it out. Use a tiny vacuum or regularly use your lint brush. Every bobbin change is generally when I do it.
    Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Before investing in a lot of different threads, I would definitely check the needle. I had a lot of trouble with shedding - lots of advice from various vendors always suggesting the expensive thread that they sold. I tried just about everything. Then I changed needles - I use a top stitching needle right now. All the difference in the world. I use mainly Connecting Threads cotton for the most part. I suppose some of the pricier threads - rayon etc. make a difference on art quilts where you are going for a certain sheen. But for my purposes - even my semi-artistic efforts, most any thread seems to work. As another person mentioned, do clean your machine with some regularity.
    Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

I take my own thread to all group sewings.
    Old 12-02-2013, 12:51 PM

that cost comparison was eye opening...

thanks for that.

aileen
    Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM

I love Connecting Treads, thread. I've never had an issue with it.
    Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM

I use a size 16 needle for FMQ, cheap thread (some of it 20+ year old 5/$1.00 Walmart), and never have a problem on either my Janome HT-2008, Brother PQ1500s or my vintage Singer 15-91. I do have to play around with setting the tension on the Janome and Singer, but once I get it right, they all work fine. That being said, the newer Singers are a tad touchy so it wouldn't hurt to try a better thread.
    Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock
    that cost comparison was eye opening...

thanks for that.

aileen
    Originally Posted by Knitette
    It was! Thank you - I've bookmarked it now
    Always happy to enable... er,... help, ladies.

Originally Posted by cminor
    That could be the problem. I don't really have any info on how to set my machine for free motion. I did lower the feed dogs and changed the stitch length to as low as I could at .8

To be honest I feel overwhelmed by the whole thing. I feel like not only do I not know what I am doing - I don't know how to set my machine or the thread...
    Here's your manual: http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...57dff4a9e3.pdf
    Page 84 will help you out a little.

They don't mention setting the stitch length to 0, but to drop the dogs instead. It's worth trying that if you can't find a way to set the stitch length to 0. Tension is going to be a little lighter than it would be on zig zag.
    Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Connecting Threads has great 100% long staple cotton thread in skads of colors. $2.49 for a 1200 yd. spool. Neutrals in 5,000 yd. cones for $9.99. Goes on sale often & also comes in sets for a reduced per spool price. Have you had your machine cleaned? If not, perhaps it's time & ask them to check the timing. If the needle isn't going down at the right time, it won't engage the bobbin thread or will break or your needle will break - often.
    They have a 40% off sale and free shipping through Dec 3rd....
    Got me so9me...love it for all my quilting
    Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Clean you machine. Try different needles. Try different thread. Every machine is different. I have a Janome. Mine works best if I leave the feed dogs up but use a supreme slider to cover the feed dogs. I know it even varies what works on the same brand of machine. Just get some scrap fabric and play around, there will be some combination that works. The best way to lear to FMQ is to play around. There are many tips on youtube too. Good luck.