Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why would I need a crock pot? >

Why would I need a crock pot?

Why would I need a crock pot?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
I just purchased a new crockpot, but when purchasing it did not realize that it had no removable liner. Has anyone used the plastic liners for the crockpots without liners? I am now wondering if they make the removable ones anymore. I don't particularly like the idea of cooking food in a plastic bag. How do you all feel about this?
I use them all the time! they're great! Added bonus- if you're taking the food somewhere ,gather the top and twist tie it so your food doesn't spill
Old 12-11-2013, 06:37 AM

I use the crockpot mainly for spaghetti sauce (doesn't burn, easy clean up), soups (same as spaghetti sauce), and pot roast. We put a couple of cork trivets under ours (it's a big crock pot) whether we are home or not and that keeps the counter plenty cool.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Depends on how busy you are during the day. I love my crockpot. I put something in it in the morning and ten go off to play in my sewing room...In the afternoon my dinner is ready...
Old 12-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have my eye on the new ones advertised that allow you to do plug them into each other. I doubt think they are as big as the crock pots but I thought they would be super for family reunions where limited hydro outlets are available.
DH and I saw these at a retail store recently. He is simply obsessed with the idea that all family members should have one each in their own homes. When the holidays roll around, they each make something to contribute to the meal. They bring along their own crock pot, and DH will be standing at our large kitchen counter waiting to attach them to our main crock pot. Neat idea. We didn't think they held very much for a lot of people, and were very pricey.
I rarely use crock pots. I prefer my West Bend Slow Cooker. Cooks like a crock pot, cooks like a roaster too. I can move the pan directly to my stove for making gravies after removing meat (if I am in a hurry and forgot to put the fixings in toward the end of cooking time.), can put the pan in the oven, and I can store leftovers directly into the refrigerator with it. Just like many crock pots can, only with more heating temps than low, med, high.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Now I'm confused. I thought crockpot and slowcooker are the same? They aren't? What's the difference?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Now I'm confused. I thought crockpot and slowcooker are the same? They aren't? What's the difference?
A slow cooker is a pot that sits UPON a heating element.
Mine is in in the shape of a rectangular roaster. The roaster inside is Teflon coated and is dishwasher safe. The heating element (I have) can also be used as a griddle (it's also Teflon coated).

A crock pot sits IN a heating element. Some crock pots cannot be removed from the heating element, for cleaning. You either pick up the entire thing and careful wash it out, or use liners. Others have inner pots, which can be removed for washing.

They both work about the same.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

You don't unless you like how the food comes out or feel you need it to cook in while you are away. I never use my crock pot and have even given several away. The main reason I think I do not cook in it is because I do not like how food are that are cooked in crock pots.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM

If a friend jumped off a bridge, would you? Trying to reference things my parents said when I was little. Just because something is useful to one person, doesn't mean it would be to you too. I'd jump off the bridge to try to save them from drowning...but not if over land...I suppose it also depends on how high the bridge was. I never could bring myself to jump off the high diving board at the pool.

If you would use it and you don't mind eating the same thing for many meals/days in a row, and there are recipes you like/love, and you have the ability to purchase one, or you cook for many, then by all means, do so.

If not, then just be content with what you have and how you cook what you cook. If she insists, then she can always buy one for you! No one should force anything on you.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM

No one is forcing anything on me. I simply asked a question and the pro's and con's are interesting to read. Most of the time I decide without asking to buy whatever I want but sometimes I want to know what other people think for the reasons stated in my first post.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM

i am widowed and love my crock pot. I love doing roasts in it for company and will do sauces and soups for me. I have discovered putting leftovers in ziploc bags and freezing them. They take up less room than containers and are easy to thaw. I put the bag in a plastic container or bowl and then put in the leftovers and then into the freezer. After about an hour or so, I take the bag out and let it go "flat". When I take one out to thaw, it thaws really fast as it is usually pretty thin. And I love the smell of something cooking while I am sewing or reading or whatever. I have never had a problem with the counter feeling hot - I have a CorningWare glass cutting board that I set the crockpot on - it is elevated slightly so air can circulate under it and I always check that the cord is in good repair.