Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother >

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 AM

Good luck in what ever you decide, and I am sure your Mom will love it.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was hoping that a lap throw might serve a useful purpose, while almost doubling as a display item if it were thrown in front of the fireplace or over the top of a couch. We enjoy decorative items in my family, however utility has always come first even with heirloom items. It is my hope to finish my grandmother’s work on this top and put a backing on it, so it may be used by my fiancé and me, or to be hung up in our living room.
I thought all along that a wall hanging would be a good place for this. My step daughter has had her grandmother's Double Wedding Ring quilt on the wall in her family room for more than 20 years. It looks great; does a lot for that room.

I would finish the attic window part (the top) with a different backing and make it into a wall hanging. You and your fiance could look at that for the rest of your lives. Then take the back, the one with the squares, and make the throw for your mother with a new back (brown?). Lots of good suggestions here for that. And I wouldn't worry about fabric melting if it is polyester. I've used lots of that and never had a problem. Just keep the heat a little lower if you are concerned.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 AM

I have friend who repurposes a lot of things. She sometimes acquires old quilts in bad condition, cleans them, cuts out the bad parts and frames the good parts behind glass that will not fade the materials. They are different sizes.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 AM

I agree with this idea and have a sample of one done I bought this at a arts and crafts show because I just like it and the crafters items.
Well I can't add the image, I will send it to you in private message. You can add it in this thread if you would like others to comment on it

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
My first thought was to preserve them by framing them, especially since you said the fabrics are thin. Since they've already been used, with more use they may start to tear and I don't think you want them ruined. They are kind of large for framing, though---you need to have a large wall space for that. The first one wouldn't look right cut in half, but the second one could actually be cut in half and each half framed, so two different people could each have one for a momento. I really like ManiacQuilter's idea of including photos, maybe some of Grandma's jewelry, a lacy handkerchief that was hers, etc. inside with the quilt pieces.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 AM

Well that didn't work either, can't add images to messages either. Sorry,
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 AM

Great job and very thoughtful of you to tackle this project! My only additional suggestion is go to the local library and pick up a book or two on basic sewing and quilting. Being myself a completely self-taught sewer and now quilter, I know how important it is to have access to such a source. A good reference guide is invaluable. Any book that professes to teach the very basics should be fine. These books include lots of illustrations, which along with your sewing machine manual (as was already suggested) will help you with stitch selection, etc. Best wishes and lots of joy with this endeavor.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 AM

I like some of the suggestions posted but I would add to some of your blocks pictures of your grandmother, and if you had any of the three of you that would make it very special. You would need to get photo fabric that is run through a printer and then incorporated into the quilt, maybe as cornerstones.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM

IMHO, I would use the top one (attic windows) to gift to your mom. The other one seems more "masculine" to me. You could add one more row of the attic windows, done by you, along with a smallish border to tie it all together. I agree, a layer of muslin or stabilizer would help with the "thinness" of the fabric. Once you layer the reconstructed top, batting, and backing, it would be a wonderful gift for your mom. However, since your time is limited, and you are new to quilting, you may want to see if you can find a quilter in your area to help you.
I just want to add that you are very thoughtful to try to help your mom adjust to her losses in this way. Hope everything comes together for you.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Carolyn MT's advice is good. Use lightweight fusible to stabilize the piece, after you have made it the size you want. Make a sandwich of top, batting, and backing and spray-baste it to stabilize all 3 layers. Then you can quilt it on your machine using any design you choose. A criss-cross, or x, design through the squares would ensure that the blocks don't move when you have finished. Note: One of my best quilt students was a man who had been a carpenter. His work was fantastic. Good luck and post when you have finished this thoughtful gift for your mom.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Hi Louis,

I'm so sorry you didn't have any luck with Joanne's. I keep forgetting that most are not like my local one. There are so many associates that know different aspects of sewing and working with yarn. My local quilt shop is snobby and not very helpful. I'm so happy to hear you found a good one. Don't give away your grandmother's partially completed projects. Hold on to those. Someday you may want to make a baby quilt with some of those squares or perhaps pass along your grandmother's work as you teach your children the art of sewing and quilt making.

My neighbor's mom kept so many things and has had them made into pillows and quilts for granddaughter. She kept her mother's slips! The lace was used to make two beautiful pillows for little Sydney's bed. Now they have Lily - I'm just waiting to see what her Nana has made for her.

I can't wait to see your progress. I'm so very happy that you found a good quilt shop and helpful people

As for your stitches. Take some practice material and just sew, adjusting the stitch length until it looks the way you want it to. Practice your straight stitching. Go slow. Oh, to help me keep my stitching straight I put a piece of mole skin on the machine where you feed the fabric. I bet if you google "using mole skin to help keep stitches straight" you'll find a you tube or something Ok, here is a good you tube video using masking tape to make a guide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jarE4mw8

Patti (aka Kookie)

Last edited by Kooklabell; 01-10-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add note