Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >
  • What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

• What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 AM

I love Eleanor Burns!!! I would not be quilting without her.... did a log cabin and loved it!!
    Quilting through the seasons is a good one with multiple patterns...
    love her show on rfd channel and videos on computer are great too...
    hugs
    quiltinmama
    Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I've been quilting since 1992 and just today saw a YouTube video with Eleanor Burns. I loved it. I love her way of making flying geese! I just love everything about her. I want to buy one of her books but have no idea which to buy. I would like one that she teaches her tricks to quilting and will have quite a few quilts in it. I think I will buy her Log Cabin book, but I want something that will teach me her way of quilting. I can't believe it took me this long to finally check her out. I see people write about her on this board, but I didn't think too much about it. Well, she is so awesome I want to learn from her. Could you suggest a good book that would give me a few quilts to make and have her tips and techniques also? Thank you, Jeanne
    I just used her book and did the log cabin, I have several of her books. Love her!
    Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
    Power Poster

I visit with her every year at Paducah. I go to her meet and greet dinner at her downtown Paducah store. Usually her kids and grandkids are there too. The upstairs class room has some of her first quilts displayed. The lady always has a smile and answers the same questions over and over and over. I would guess she has had her picture taken more then any other human alive. LOL.
    Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 AM

My guild had her come last year to do a couple classes. She IS just wonderful in person and really helps and considers no question dumb. Just a lively and lovely woman! Sue was there, also, and also a wonderful inspriation.
    Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM

She is my idol and I have many of her books. Would not be a quilter if not for her methods. She has methods that are much simpler to do. Her triangle square up ruler is a must have. Also have all her flying geese rulers for perfect geese the easy way.
    She can be seen on the rural tv network. Don't know what time cause my DVR is set up to record her shows.
    Have watched her shows on her website and used to watch on QNN when it was free.
    Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM

I have bought many Quilt in a Day books, but, if you don't want to buy her books, check out the free patterns page on the Quilt in a Day website. You can print out the patterns for free and see if you like her style of instructions. Some people love her very detailed instructions, others not so much. Before buying, check out her free patterns first. Have you checked your PBS station to see if they are airing any of her episodes? If they don't, contact your local PBS station and request Quilt in a Day. Another quilting show I enjoy is Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and Sewing with Nancy as well. You might find several sewing and quilting shows you may like on PBS.
    Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM

Hands down...Egg Money Quilts!
    Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM

Don't EVER apologize for something you don't know! No one can know everything about anything. Enjoy the process and quilt, quilt, quilt.
    Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I've been quilting since 1992 and just today saw a YouTube video with Eleanor Burns. I loved it. I love her way of making flying geese! I just love everything about her. I want to buy one of her books but have no idea which to buy. I would like one that she teaches her tricks to quilting and will have quite a few quilts in it. I think I will buy her Log Cabin book, but I want something that will teach me her way of quilting. I can't believe it took me this long to finally check her out. I see people write about her on this board, but I didn't think too much about it. Well, she is so awesome I want to learn from her. Could you suggest a good book that would give me a few quilts to make and have her tips and techniques also? Thank you, Jeanne
    I just got her original Sunbonnet book . I ordered on half.com for HALF the price. You can get A LOT of craft/sewing books (and many others) cheap esp. if they're a little older. Have fun.
    Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM

Love, love, love Eleanor Burns. I caught her show on our PBS channel on Baltimore Quilts. Fell in love with her and quilting.

I have been fortunate to take a couple of classes from her at the Houston Quilt Festival and to hear her speak. If you ever get the chance, don't pass it up.

As to which book - they are all so good. You might enjoy one that has a collection of quilts in it. And her books where she gives background/history such as Egg Money Quilts, Underground Railroad, First Ladies, etc., are great, not only for the patterns but just for reading and learning so much!