Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you cut selvedges? >
  • How do you cut selvedges?

• How do you cut selvedges?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 AM

Dumb question of the morning: I understand leaving a bit (1/2" etc.) of the fabric attached. My big question: how the heck do you sew the actual selvages together? I notice that many of mine don't have a 1/4" to spare under the writing/dots. Do you just top stitch them to a foundation (muslin,etc)? Think the selvage projects are cute, but can't figure out how to sew with them. Duh!

Thanks for starting this thread, Central Ohio. It is a question I've had for a long time.

Anita
    Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    Dumb question of the morning: I understand leaving a bit (1/2" etc.) of the fabric attached. My big question: how the heck do you sew the actual selvages together? I notice that many of mine don't have a 1/4" to spare under the writing/dots. Do you just top stitch them to a foundation (muslin,etc)? Think the selvage projects are cute, but can't figure out how to sew with them. Duh!
    Thanks for starting this thread, Central Ohio. It is a question I've had for a long time. Anita
    You guessed correctly. They are top stitched to the raw edge of the next one. No need for a fold under seam. I've seen some really cute quilts made of these, but when I cut mine off, I leave at least an eight inch of white on my pieces. That will get sewn in.
    If the color goes right to the edge, I cut off only the thick edge which is usually less than an eighth of an inch. Sometimes I just leave it on if the piece will be small enough.
    Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I only save the selvedge with the writing on it. I cut 1/2" from where the selvedge meets the printed fabric. Clear as mud?!?!? I leave 1/2" of the printed fabric attached to the selvedge. There I think that is more clear!
    The reason is I have had fabrics where the dye was weaker towards the selvage leaving some weak splotchy colours in some of my quilts.
    Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Same here. If I really like the fabric and it has all the information for reference for future orders. If not sometimes if long enough I save it for braiding small mats.
    Same here too. I always leave the information on the selvage attached to the fabric until I have used it all up.
    Old 02-21-2014, 08:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I leave my selvedges on until the very last moment (mainly so I can square up the fabric). Then when I'm cutting my piecing pieces. I trim off the bits of selvedge off. That way I can continue straightening the grain until the last minute.
    Ditto. Every once in a blue moon I may keep a part of the selvedge in if the fabric is real narrow.