Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please >

Help please

Help please

Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 AM

I made a denim and flannel quilt. I used old jeans, cut as many 6" squares I could get out of each and did the same with the flannel that I bought (washed well first). I layered a flannel and denim square stitched 1/2" seams to make the "fringe" and made an X quilting thru each. The denim and flannel are alternated on each side. It is a full size and VERY HEAVY and extremely warm. My washer will not handle it. I have to go to a laundrymat to wash it. I did not use any batting. I use one side if I want to see the fringe side or turn it over for a smooth look. I also made a strip about 4 squares wide to cover the pillows so I wouldn't have to fold the quilt over them. It has outlasted 3 dogs and 2 cats and 3 kids.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 AM
pal

I made a beautiful quilt that is too heavy to use. It sits in the closet. Please do what you think is right, better used than put away. Some day I am going to cut off some of the borders to lighten it, but after 2 years of sitting, it's still too soon.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 PM

Maybe you could make a smaller ..say....24"x24" and show him how heavy it is and then give him a few of your own suggestion also you could make a 24"x24" of your suggestion and let him choose, also tell him it would have to be washed at the laundrymat not at home as it would break the washing machine.
Jeri