Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ripping Fabric questions >

Ripping Fabric questions

Ripping Fabric questions

Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Are you trying to straighten the fabric, or are you trying to square up the print on the fabric? If the fabric is printed off grain, it is visually more appealing to have the print straight than the fabric.
I was simply trying to straighten the fabric (which I did, I just had to cut quite a bit more off than I usually do). It is fine, that just brought to mind the whole question of ripping versus cutting because of what I was seeing in my fabrics. Namely, the ruffled edges that were sometimes distorted several inches in. This was the main thing bothering me, especially since I had to eek out a few cuts on a couple of my pieces of my fabric due to the loss of fabric attributable to the distortion I was trying to cut around.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I have had to cut quite a bit too, after getting a straight fold, then the rest of the fabric is askew. Even after I rip the fabric, it can be a bit off. This is not inexpensive fabric by the way.
Exactly. I've noticed that even expensive fabric seems to be more "warped" these days. Is most of our fabric imported now? Quality control on imported goods is often quite iffy.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I don't like to have my fabric ripped cross grain because it really distorts. I do tear my borders along the straight of grain because I want them to be a true straight of grain.
This is what I do, too. I would never rip across the grain. But clerks used to always rip fabric. There was a machine on the measuring counter that "nipped" the selvage edge and the clerk ripped from that small cut. (That's how far back I go in buying fabric! Years of making my own clothes).
Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I have to admit that when I took my very first quilting class, the instructor told us to rip the fabric to get the true straight of grain. I usually pre-wash my fabrics, and when I have not had the time to iron them right after washing, I will fold the fabric and at times it gets really, really wrinkled. That said, if I only need a half yard or a yard out of that fabric, I will rip it, with an inch or so for the raggedy edges, then I press it before cutting. I do frequently rip for borders on the lengthwise grain to be sure I have the sides straight. It does make for a messy "cut" but I have found it to be easier than trying to cut the borders for a queen or king size quilt. At least to me it makes it easier.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM

I rip/tear on the straight lengthwise grain for borders, backings or anything else that needs to be long and straight. It's quick and accurate.

Rob
Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 PM

they used to rip most fabrics - but, back then, most fabric was 100% cotton and made 'better' than today's fabric. The only fabric I rip at the store is velvet (after snipping the selvage) and the smocked summer dress fabric (cut thru smocking and then tear the lower part). I would not trust any other fabric to rip straight. You may still not have a completely straight edge because of the pulling and twisting that is done to the fabric in today's production process, but I think there is less loss than with ripping.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I always rip for borders. It's accurate and so much faster. When cross-ripping it does distort the fabric edge a bit, but you can iron that back down and hide it in the seam allowance. Ripping does follow the grain, and is accurate.

Rather than lose you as a customer, Tartan, I'm sure any shop would be glad to comply with your request that they cut, rather than tear, your fabric purchases. Just ask them not to tear.
Not necessarily, sewbizgirl. One shop in town here always rips, and they have refused to cut for me. She is very stubborn about why tearing is best, and says they always cut a bit generous to account for the 1/2" distortion at the edge. Problem with cutting for one and tearing the rest is, first, you have one torn edge whether you like it or not, from the last customer. And now you leave them with an edge that is not square to their next rip.

Ripping is ALWAYS on the straight grain, whether you rip lengthwise or crosswise. If your fabric doesn't line up when you fold it, it's because it was rolled onto the bolt off-grain and has been distorted. you can straighten it, by gently pulling on diagonal corners to tug it back into square. That's more work than I'm willing to do however (and almost impossible to do alone for anything larger than a 1 yard cut). So I try not to shop where they rip, and I deal with slightly off-grain fabric, because in a 3" square it's really not going to show at all.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM

*** I am a RIP hater.
*** If they RIP, I do not buy.