Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016

Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016

Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 AM

To be clear and fair -- I take no credit for the beautiful pattern, colors, and fabrics in my quilt top. It's a kit. As I mentioned (perhaps too softly?), it's the "Colored Happy" quilt designed by Valori Wells using Robert Kaufman "Kona" fabrics. I saw that it required only basic skills and loved the pattern, so chose it to get my feet wet in quilting. The fabrics were mailed to me in fat quarters; I cut them according to the pattern and pieced them together. The kit doesn't contain a pattern or fabric for the back, so I did do that on my own. Now comes the biggest challenge: quilting it on my little Janome Magnolia! I'm planning to straight-line quilt it as soon as I figure out the best ways to do that! Still playing with a practice sandwich to find a good stitch length/tension combo. Plus I wish I could find a definitive answer on whether I should be changing directions as I make my straight quilting lines -- so many opinions online conflict about whether this is the best or the worst way to proceed!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board, homefrontgirl!

McG... I've done lots of straight line quilting with a walking foot. I usually try to sew the long lines all in the same direction until it becomes impractical to do so. I work from the center out, in both directions. I tend to press down with open hands as I feed the fabric through, so there's not much shifting. It works. Just experiment!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:01 AM

This is my first time to join in the weekend quilting group. I have several projects in the works that I need to get completed. I will probably work on a quilt for my grandson for Christmas. Yes, I am getting an early start this year! Cars and trucks are his life right now so I am putting together a quilt that he can play on with all his vehicles. I will share with you when I get back home and then see if I can get it completed this weekend. I look forward to seeing everyone's projects. Should be a great sewing weekend!!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

cmcnab, those are some beautiful fabrics. Enjoy your retirement! I homeschooled my three now-grown children, and was so relieved when the last one finished. I'd much rather quilt than teach school...

Fizzle, those double-slice layer cakes go together really fast!

Today I go to teach water aerobics and then I'm heading to the quilt shop where I 'won' the Row by Row this year.... they have had my quilt for three weeks and I just heard that they have still not hung it in the store! So I'm going to pick it up. I'm actually sorry I left it there.

Maybe some sewing can happen later this afternoon.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:17 AM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend (New Member)

Hi. My name is Denise. I have been lurking for a long time but the Virtual Quilting Weekend brought me out of hiding! I have been sewing since I was twelve and quilting a long time also.
I live in NE Pennsylvania. I am a school librarian who will retire at the end of the 2017 school year.
I will be posting photos of my virtual projects for this weekend
later or tomorrow. I am working on a Dresden Table Runner
made using batiks and an Honor Flight Lap Quilt due Aug 24th!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM

I am going to try and be in too! Got some things I need to finish up. Am having rotator cup surgery on the 12th and don't know how long I will be down.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Still have quite a bit to do on this baby quilt but the top should be done by Sunday.[ATTACH=CONFIG]555354[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160805_130223.jpeg  
Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Welcome to all the newcomers! I have all the squares for my stitch n fold wreath sewn and pressed, ready for the decorative stitching on the applique... pics to follow... need some buttons...
Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 AM

I am joining a VQW for the first time. I have to finish quilting a patriotic wallhanging and then bind it.

I am also making a few walker bags and mug rugs for our neighborhood craft show. I also have to sandwich and quilt a top I have finished.

I have never posted pictures, but will give it a try. Enjoy, everyone.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM

So Many lovely projects in the works by all of you! I will join in for a little bit this weekend. I am also working on a string quilt, in metallics, silver/gold and grays. I think I am really going to like this one.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555360[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1120500.jpg