Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good? >
  • Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

• Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

DH refuses to travel to that part of the country.

LOL. DH said the same thing about going to Keepsakes. I said okay travel as far as you can stomach that part of the country and then I'll leave you at a hotel while I keep going. I'll come back and pick you up. Or you can stay home. Your choice. I went to Keepsakes and spent a wonderful afternoon there. I still think how amazing it was. I don't compromise just because he thinks what he wants should come before what I want.
    Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM

Marshall's dry goods. $3.99 per yard 30 yards = 119.7 plus tax

Hancock of Paducah $10.99 per yard 30 yards = 329.70 plus tax

Local quilt shops $12.99 per yard 30 yards = 389.70 plus tax

I make about 20 quilts per year. I make special trips to Marshall's Dry Goods.
    Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 PM

"I went to Hancocks of Paducah last year while we were on vacation at Land Between The Lakes. It was AMAZING. My jaw hit the floor as soon as I walked in."

My daughter that lives in Paducah, used to be a newspaper reporter and she would be the reporter that covered the big Quilt Show every April as none of the men wanted to cover it - AND she is a quilter. She interviewed the owners of Hancocks of Paducah and they said that lots of women actually CRY when they first walk in the door

Last edited by NikkiLu; 10-25-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM

I just came back from visiting Marshalls today and was not impressed.. I just could not find fabric that looked all that great.. Granted they have cheaper prices and if you want to buy it by the bolt it is lots cheaper.. The name brands that the had, Hoffman, RKR, Amy Butler... etc seemed to be a less than quality fabric to me.. I guess I am just used to seeing better quality. There is a quilt shop close to me at home Hunters Heirloom Quilting it is on 50 Hwy just before you get to Warrensburg MO that has great fabric and wonderful prices.. you can google the shop.. And the folks that run it are super.. Good deal on 80/20 hobbs batting on the roll.. $99.00. This shop has me spoiled, so in answer to your question on which shop to visit.. Hancocks-Paducah if way far better than Marshalls in my opinion...
    Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by duckydo
    I just came back from visiting Marshalls today and was not impressed.. I just could not find fabric that looked all that great.. Granted they have cheaper prices and if you want to buy it by the bolt it is lots cheaper.. The name brands that the had, Hoffman, RKR, Amy Butler... etc seemed to be a less than quality fabric to me.. I guess I am just used to seeing better quality.

...so in answer to your question on which shop to visit.. Hancocks-Paducah if way far better than Marshalls in my opinion...
    The brand name fabric that Marshall's has is the same exact stuff that the quilt shops got, so I don't understand how it could be of lesser quality. It was made in the same original run, but the leftovers, after the shops all order, go to Marshalls and stores like them. They sell the closeout lines of the exact same fabric as the quilt shops bought.

They do carry differing qualities... for instance, their Marshall's brand fabric is of lesser quality. You can feel it. They also carry the stuff that is sold at Wal Mart and JoAnn's... I pass on that thin stuff too. And they have Connecting Threads closeouts that I also pass on. But they have plenty of the best quality manufacturer's closeouts and mill ends, too. As in any other market, have the discerning eye and only buy the best.

Marshalls also has Dream Cotton very cheap... solid colors made at the same place as Moda Bella. Most of us feel it's the same thing exactly as Moda Bella, being sold under another name. Wonderful stuff. Maybe you didn't look hard enough or in the right place! Their retail shop is full of name brand manufacturers' fabric on the bolt, and mill ends in flat folds on the tables. I am a fabric snob and I always find a ton of stuff to buy.

I go when I need to buy a bunch of fabric. I just couldn't afford it from Hancocks of Paducah.
    Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM

I expect I'll go back. Though I don't plan on heading that way for two years. Now that I've been there, I'd go over my stash a bit and take note of some colors that I could use more of.

Buying at their prices helps offset when I find something special to fall in love with at the LQS.

I have become somewhat of a fabric snob, and also did not have problems finding enough I liked at Marshells. I probably would have found more, but we'd been on the road over 8 hours when we got there (left Atlanta at 4am).

Next time I'll make sure I'm fresher before we get there!
    Old 10-26-2016, 09:08 AM
    Power Poster

solid colors made at the same place as Moda Bella. Most of us feel it's the same thing exactly as Moda Bella, being sold under another name
    The Quilter's Dream is the same as Moda Bella. I overheard a rep talking to a distributor about the Quilter's Dream fabric.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-26-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM

I have been only to Marshall's and I was a bit disappointed. Not the variety that I expected and I wasn't wanting to buy bolts and there is a section of the store just for that. I like the variety of Paducah's online and I watch for the sales. I have never been disappointed with what I ordered and received.
    Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 AM
    Power Poster

I meant Dream Cotton not Quilter's Dream. I had batting on my mind. LOL