Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good? >

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 AM

Default Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

My dh and I will be leaving Atlanta monday and could either drive up through Paducah or west to Birmingham and then into Arkansas. Which would you pick?

We stopped at MSQC on our way down, but did not have time for any other big stops.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:31 AM

I think marshals has the best deal on fabric....
Old 10-23-2016, 05:40 AM

Macy, if you go to Marshall's, tell us about it. I'm wanting to go there, too.

bkay
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Banned

I love Marshalls, been shopping them since 1987, before they were a BIG store. Usually some pretty amazing bargains.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:17 AM

Although I have never been to either in person, I have purchased from both online. My impression is that Hancocks of Paducah has a larger selection of brand name manufacturer fabrics. Marshals does carry brand name fabrics but seems to specialize more in their own 'unbranded' fabrics, and while the prices are really good (often $2-4 yard) I found the quality was not as good--thinner and looser woven. So it probably depends on what you are looking for. Perhaps study their websites and see which one has more of the fabrics that you would be looking to purchase? I think both are very reputable stores.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 10-23-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 AM

While I'd love to shop at Marshall's, I think I'd take the opportunity to go to Hancocks of Paducah, just to see the beautiful fabrics from their catalog in real life.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I've been to both. At Marshall's you can buy by the bolt at wholesale prices. You can buy yardage but too but it's a little higher by the yard when cut. Hancock's has all the newest lines but not wholesale prices. Hancocks has patterns, books, notions, thread and other non fabric items. Handcocks is prettier, all the quilt samplers hanging up, more like quilt shop. Marshall's is more of a warehouse. If you go to Marshall's , the Robert Kauffman, and Riley Blake fabric is to the left in the second room where online orders are filled. You can go back there. The other fabric brands on the bolt are in the back section of the first room. If you buy the bolt a rep will have to check you out. They are not there on weekends. That may make a difference for you.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 AM

I have been to Hancock's of Paducah many times as my youngest DD lives there. They have the top of the lines in fabric - top of the lines in prices too, unless you can catch things on sale - ie. a red sticker on the bolt. Yes, they have quilts hung from the rafters, but this is not a "cutesey" quilt shop like most mom and pops stores. They only have the one store. During quilt week they have a TON of pre-cuts, kits, in their back room. If you don't see their back room, ask somebody how to get there. They do have a huge amount of upholstery/drapery fabric also. I used to buy some fabric on here from a gal who got her fabric from Marshall's and I thought it was inferior - coarse.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Banned

Yes, they have tables of the cheaper, flatfold fabric, but it is far from ALL that way.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:30 AM

Marshalls would be my pick but I have not been to either.