Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good? >

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Hancocks of Paducah or Marshell Dry Good?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I used to buy some fabric on here from a gal who got her fabric from Marshall's and I thought it was inferior - coarse.
Marshall's is a fabric distributor that quilt shops, fabric stores, and upholstery shops order through the reps.
Marshall's sells poly, blends, flannel, wool, upholstery, fleece, all quality of cotton fabrics. You can find every level of fabric quality there. I buy Robert Kaufman, Riley Blake, Red Rooster, Kona, Timeless Treasures, Free Spirit, Benartex, Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, RJR, and all the other name brands of fabric except Moda. Marshall's has Hoffman Batiks too. Marshall's has Quilters Dream solids that is excellent quality.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Never been to Marshall's but went to Hancocks of Paducah this summer. IT was awesome! I actually went twice. Loving both times. Highly recommend it.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:57 AM

I've never been to Marshall's or bought from them but I live within 15 minutes of Hancocks. I only go there when I have to have a specific item...they are so high in price to me. I work in Benton, Kentucky and there is a little fabric shop there that still has most of her fabrics for $6 to $9 a yard. She doesn't have a huge selection but what she has is great. The back room of Hancocks does have a large selection of kits and precuts.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Although I have never been to either in person, I have purchased from both online. My impression is that Hancocks of Paducah has a larger selection of brand name manufacturer fabrics. Marshals does carry brand name fabrics but seems to specialize more in their own 'unbranded' fabrics, and while the prices are really good (often $2-4 yard) I found the quality was not as good--thinner and looser woven. So it probably depends on what you are looking for. Perhaps study their websites and see which one has more of the fabrics that you would be looking to purchase? I think both are very reputable stores.
The real treasures from Marshall's are not on their website. They only feature the fabrics they manufacture on the website, because they always have them in stock. The "treasures" are the closeouts of manufacturer's lines that you find for so cheap in their store. They are in limited quantities and constantly changing, so they don't make it onto the website. You have to go there to see what they have at any given time. It's wonderful. I'm going next weekend.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM

I've never been to either but from what others have said here' s my suggestion. If you're "just looking" I'd go to Hancock's. If you're planning on doing a lot of buying I'd go to Marshall's. Either way, be sure to tell us all about it.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM

I have only been to Hancocks of Paducah so I can't compare. However, IF you decide to go to Paducah, don't miss the mural painted sea walls. They alone are worth the drive. Paducah also has a Quilt Museum and several other quilt shops.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:12 PM

We decided to head to Marshslls. DH likes being able to avoid driving through Nashville. We should have three hours to shop.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 PM

good for you. please report on your visit. we all want to know.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:51 PM

I've not been to Hancock's of Paducah but I have been to Marshall's and frankly I wasn't as impressed I expected to be. Too many of their fabrics were what I would consider Blenders or fabrics that I would add after selecting the primary fabric for a quilt. I typically like to find focal fabrics when I travel and buy the secondary fabrics when I am ready to use them. So Marshall's wasn't the type of store I would typically visit when traveling. I can't imagine buying a bolt of any fabric since I get bored if I use a fabric in more than one quilt so that wasn't an attraction.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 PM

I've not been to either, but my cousin purchases fabric for her shop from Marshall's. I've purchased a lot of fabric from my cousin, and I've gotten nothing that I would call "cheap" or "coarse". I have had some very good prices coupled with good quality fabric.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 10-23-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: additional content