Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show? >

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
Wow...I just finished my second small quilt to enter into a show and after your comment I am having second thoughts.
The first time there were 2 older ladies making fun of the quilts no matter who else was standing there. Then they would laugh and run off to the next. My self esteem was -zero after that. And now I feel the same way.
I am disgusted! Those people should be ashamed of themselves. I enjoy seeing all kinds of quilts and most of all quilts that are attainable and inspire me to go home and create something new. Please do not let these IttyBiddies get to you.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think it's interesting that someone said they wouldn't want to see quilts with mis-matched seams at a show they paid to attend. I go to the big Pacific International Quilt Festival every year and I have seen GORGEOUS quilts on display there every year, and almost every time, when I get up real close and personal, I can find errors if I look for them. Mismatched seams, slightly clipped points, quilting lines with little bips and bobbles...

I actually LIKE it when I find those subtle little problems. Why? Because my first impression of the quilt was that it was amazing and impressive and in some way unique or very interesting to me - otherwise I wouldn't be studying it so closely. So if a quilt in a huge show that looks that amazing can still contain a few little errors...well, maybe that means my always-imperfect work is better than I thought. It reassures me about my own work, and encourages me to display my work more proudly, and makes me think that perhaps some day I'll be brave enough to enter one of my (imperfect) quilts into a juried show.
I agree 100%. It inspires me to think I can make an amazing quilt someday that wow people.
But I did notice under the many heavily quilted quilts there were imperfections just like mine. They were just covered up. Mine stand out with simple hand quilting.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 AM

It makes me a bit sad how judgmental this post is. I for one have no desire to be juried/shown in a quilt show. I love seeing ALL the quilts hanging whether at IQF Houston or my local show this weekend. We as quilters KNOW what it takes to make a quilt - the time, cost, energy, effort etc. I just don't feel the need to put down others (even in a backhanded gossipy way) and honestly you NEVER know the backstory on the quilt that is hanging!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Just to give an idea, I saw the numbers from the Quilt Canada juried show. They had over 300 entries and about 120 were juried into the show, if I remember correctly.
I think it's quite exiting to have your work chosen to be exhibited and you should ignore any naysayers that feel they have to offer critiques. I'm pretty sure that's what we have accredited judges for.
Watson ,
Old 03-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
Wow...I just finished my second small quilt to enter into a show and after your comment I am having second thoughts.
The first time there were 2 older ladies making fun of the quilts no matter who else was standing there. Then they would laugh and run off to the next. My self esteem was -zero after that. And now I feel the same way.
Some people forgot to teach their children common courtesy. Laughing at another's artistic endeavors for any reason (except for comedians of course), is just rude. Never judge yourself by the rude actions of others. I believe they laugh because they can't do as well themselves, and seek to make others feel just as untalented. If you felt confident enough to put your work in a show and they put it on display, then just know it deserved to be there. Hugs.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 PM

I'm a new quilter and working on my first quilt top, traditional tumbling blocks.

When I get frustrated I remind myself "this ain't goin' to Paducah!" and it makes me laugh enough to carry on.

No one can criticize my work more than I can. I look forward to my 2nd 3rd 4th etc. quilts. Maybe a show is a worthy goal: right now, for me, the goal is finished.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
I'm a new quilter and working on my first quilt top, traditional tumbling blocks.

When I get frustrated I remind myself "this ain't goin' to Paducah!" and it makes me laugh enough to carry on.

No one can criticize my work more than I can. I look forward to my 2nd 3rd 4th etc. quilts. Maybe a show is a worthy goal: right now, for me, the goal is finished.
This made me smile... I finished my first quilt in 2010. Now I have a quilt on its way to Paducah! I probably could have had one juried in before now if I had ever thought I was good enough.

Keep up the good attitude and enjoy the ride. You'll make it to Paducah too if that's where you want to go.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think it's interesting that someone said they wouldn't want to see quilts with mis-matched seams at a show they paid to attend. I go to the big Pacific International Quilt Festival every year and I have seen GORGEOUS quilts on display there every year, and almost every time, when I get up real close and personal, I can find errors if I look for them. Mismatched seams, slightly clipped points, quilting lines with little bips and bobbles...

I actually LIKE it when I find those subtle little problems. Why? Because my first impression of the quilt was that it was amazing and impressive and in some way unique or very interesting to me - otherwise I wouldn't be studying it so closely. So if a quilt in a huge show that looks that amazing can still contain a few little errors...well, maybe that means my always-imperfect work is better than I thought. It reassures me about my own work, and encourages me to display my work more proudly, and makes me think that perhaps some day I'll be brave enough to enter one of my (imperfect) quilts into a juried show.
Oh very well, well said Sewnoma...exactly my thoughts too, I couldn't agree more. Thank you for wording it so eloquently.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 PM

I am glad quilter's are willing to enter their quilts. Otherwise I would miss out on the enjoyment and learning experience of looking at a wide variety of styles and techniques. This is the way I have developed my taste and improved my skills. There are some quilts I like better than others--not a criticism of the quilt, just my personal taste at the moment, which may change with more experience and understanding. There is something to learn from every quilt and I thank everyone who has the courage to enter a quilt. There may be a few nitpickers who come to the show to find fault, but most of us are there to enjoy and learn.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I am glad quilter's are willing to enter their quilts. Otherwise I would miss out on the enjoyment and learning experience of looking at a wide variety of styles and techniques. This is the way I have developed my taste and improved my skills. There are some quilts I like better than others--not a criticism of the quilt, just my personal taste at the moment, which may change with more experience and understanding. There is something to learn from every quilt and I thank everyone who has the courage to enter a quilt. There may be a few nitpickers who come to the show to find fault, but most of us are there to enjoy and learn.
I feel the same way and never gave it a thought others may be disappointed with what they see and feel they wasted their money and time on going. I get so giddy it's like I ate to much sugar.