Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding question >

Binding question

Binding question

Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Joe. I have been quilting a very long time and I never heard the term "molar", but have seen the method.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:01 AM

I always use bias. I used to get folds using straight of grain...probably because I was pulling at the foldover as I went around the quilt with my binding. The bias lays smooth and I understand that wear and tear is lessened with the bias edge.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 01-31-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I usually use bias binding that I make using the molar method. But the other day I needed a quicker binding and just used 2.5" straight grain strips. Which do you use and why? The straight grain seemed easier for sure but what is the difference and which is better? Lots of questions haha thanks!
All of the above are true; however, bias binding is more durable. Yes still personal preferences but if it’s a child’s quilt that’s going to be well used, bias binding may give it a longer life.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM

I only use bias binding when going around curves. Other than that, I cut straight of grain.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I prefer bias binding because it won't wear along the grain lines the way a straight grain binding will. I have an old quilt that is holding up well except for the straight grain binding, which is completely worn through along the grain line. Also wondering about 'molar.'
That is what I was taught. I only use bias unless it is wallhanging that won't be getting the wear of a quilt.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
This is what I call the molar method I learned it from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting which was my first quilting book. Sounds like bias takes longer but is more durable, so I'll probably use that if I have time and straight grain of I'm rushed. This is the link for the below picture https://makeit-loveit.com/make-conti...s-tape-binding Thanks everyone for your replies
This is the method I use to make bias, but I have never heard it called molar. Now I'm trying to figure how that name came to be.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Straight grain binding whether long- or cross-grain is just fine. It is definitely faster, easier and you don't need to make as much excess binding.

In general I make bias binding and prefer the french double fold method. I machine sew on front and hand sew the binding down on the back. The bias is mostly helpful when you have curves and such, but I like the way it makes striped fabric march around the quilt. I also feel the diagonal seams are stronger/have less problems and are less noticeable but you can still do that with straight grain binding.
I'm with you, Iceblossom. I have done a lot of straight-grain binding, but I feel the bias is more durable. I have made some dish drying mats that get washed a lot, and the straight-grain binding has almost completely worn off in a year's time. I figure, with all the time and effort I put into making a quilt, I want the binding to last as long as possible.

Leslie
Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 AM

You have touched on a topic I have always heard: that bias binding will last longer. I Always use bias binding for that reason.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 AM

I use straight grain it is less seams
Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 AM

I'd never heard of the molar method either but I am strongly in the bias camp unless it's a wall hanging because of the wear factor. About 10 years ago I printed the chart Joe referred to from piraterogers and have a copy in my sewing room, my wallet (reduced to 3"x4") and in an important papers file. I use the wallet one when I see a great stripe while shopping. The fabric is used selvage to selvage so there's no extra as I see it. The only disadvantage to me is there are a few small segments in the strip.