Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must-have" in a sewing room? >

What is your "must-have" in a sewing room?

What is your "must-have" in a sewing room?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 AM

All of the above.
Plus my triangle square up and flying geese rulers from Quilt In A Day. They have improved my quilting so much.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Storage, TV, a lockable door!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM

how about...tons of fabric to choose from ;-)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
a large cutting area, a good quality iron, and a pomeranian to sleep at your feet.
A Pom would be the first thing I would put in my sewing room, too! Tara, our Pom loves fabric as much as I do and will run off with a pretty piece when she thinks I have ignored her long enough! After that it would be a CD player and lotsa good music.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SuSu
I am just moving from a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom condo -- the lure being having a huge room to use as my sewing room. It opens onto a glass enclosed porch that will house my new mid-arm HQ Avante. So I wonder -- what is one thing that you suggest that I absolutely must have? It might be something that you have re-purposed to use in your sewing area; it might be an inexpensive notion or an expensive piece of furniture. I want to know what I should look for to add!

I am excited that I will no longer be sewing on the dining room table and will be able to keep things set up all the time.
you will love to have your own room you can just leave your mess and close the door ;) I love it !! Hmm good question.. I love shelving for fabrics, I have to have my design wall for sure !! Super easy to make one.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
Originally Posted by kasmitty1
a large cutting area, a good quality iron, and a pomeranian to sleep at your feet.
A Pom would be the first thing I would put in my sewing room, too! Tara, our Pom loves fabric as much as I do and will run off with a pretty piece when she thinks I have ignored her long enough! After that it would be a CD player and lotsa good music.
ahhh I want one of those at my feet ;)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Oh something else I've found quite useful is one of those hanging shoe or jewelry organizers with all the pockets...you can make your own with pockets of various sizes for all the little things you want handy, but sorted...extra bobbins, spools of thread (if you don't have a spool caddy), scissors, snips, extra needles, marking chalk, pens, notepad, whatever...just hang it right by your sewing machine or cutting area.
fabulous idea !!! gonna get me one today !!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
Originally Posted by mom-6
Oh something else I've found quite useful is one of those hanging shoe or jewelry organizers with all the pockets...you can make your own with pockets of various sizes for all the little things you want handy, but sorted...extra bobbins, spools of thread (if you don't have a spool caddy), scissors, snips, extra needles, marking chalk, pens, notepad, whatever...just hang it right by your sewing machine or cutting area.
fabulous idea !!! gonna get me one today !!
Ps do you have a picture you can show us?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 AM

I made a peg board too to hang up scissors, and even have a bobbin holder on there and can hang all kinds of stuff . Hubby put a light above the machine too good lighting is a must !

sewing room with a lot less stuff in it a couple years ago but you can see the peg board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36233[/ATTACH]

here is what is usually looks like , my mom working at something as well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36531[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36233.jpe   attachment-36531.jpe  
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM

My must haves are storage, storage and more storage! I'm going to hunt for an old dresser to turn into a cutting table. If the top isn't wide enough I'll go to the lumber yard and get a short counter top piece to attach. I would get a dresser to turn into an ironing station too but I don't have room for it in this room.