Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing? Love it or hate it? >

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks Irish I've looked it up. Will be a great help.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM

Phyl, I would think that the muslin would be too easy to pull out of shape where the "paper" would hold its shape and hence the sharp corners etc.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Phyl
Originally Posted by salmonsweet
I love freezer paper piecing. It irons on and you don't sew through it, so you can use normal stitch length and simply peel it off afterwards. There's a great tutorial here:

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

Freezer paper piecing is the method Judy Mathieson now recommends in her book Mariner's Compass - Setting a New Course. One difference to the tute above: she stacks several pieces of freezer paper and sews through them with her machine with an unthreaded needle. The perforation does the same thing as making creases as in the tute, except you catch several layers at once.

I tried traditional foundation piecing (the one with sewing through the paper) once. Hated it. With a passion.
Little pieces to pick out between seams in every sharp point; the foundation coming apart every time I needed to take out a seam... well it tears easily, that's the point isn't it... but for me at least it didn't hold up when I used my seam ripper.
A novice's question....Why can't you use a thin muslin instead of the paper and NOT take it out when finished??????Is BULK the only reason? If that's it, I'd rather have the teeny extra bulk without the tearing out. Tell me please but be kind!!!Thanks
Me to :oops: :oops: :oops: answer please...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Phyl, I would think that the muslin would be too easy to pull out of shape where the "paper" would hold its shape and hence the sharp corners etc.
That makes sense but let's go further with that. What about using a fabric that would be stiffer? (I HATE ripping out, pulling out, taking out, etc.) Or....using a fabric starch or something? (It's my last ...what if ...on this one!) Thanks for your help and your patience. Phyl
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 AM

June Taylor has a product called Perfect Piecing $6.00 for 25 sheets that can be left in, I didn't like tearing it out it is like a light weight interfacing. I am using Carol Doaks paper right now $10.00 for 100 sheets but guess what, is is just newsprint tears easy tho.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 AM

I think the whole idea is that you are NOT joining fabric to fabric without something non-stretchable added. Otherwise, why not just join pieces in the normal way? One friend here recommended a product called Do-Sew that you can leave it. PP is all about maintaining the shapes of the pieces. Listen to me and I haven't even tried it yet!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Using PP I did a couple of tumbing blocs pillows, turquoise, black, and white, for the teen turned out excellent. Once you get the hang of PP it's great and a wonderfule take-a-long project.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I am in the process of learning to PP "Thank You Quilt "moms" I hate the mess it makes from all the little pieces and I hate picking out all that paper but the blocks are beautiful when they are done, So I have to say I have a love hate relationship with it. I am currently looking for something for paper that is easy to pick out- probably no such thing, I used June Taylor and is is like interfacing I have some Carol Doaks that is like newsprint. It didn't help my block had 20 units to it!
My first attempt at paper piecing was doing a new York Beauty block. The first square I did I used computer paper which was horrible to take out. Then I read somewhere, that using really cheap doodle paper (like newsprint) from the dollar store was the way to go, and it made a huge amount of difference. I had scanned the pattern to my computer, since I had to resize it, and I printed it right onto the newsprint, and it worked just beautifully.

I would do it again in a minute.

By the way, I have included a photo of my paperpieced centre (new york beauties) for a round robin quilt. It's on it's third round now, so I'm curious to see what's been added.......
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43424.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM

Beautiful work!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma
I love it!!! Fold the paper over and score it with your finger nail, then tear it off :D I just use cheap copy paper and it tears right off. If I see a little bitty paper triangle in the seam line, I remove them before they get buried... removing those little pieces early, doesn't hurt the block any :wink:
This works for me, too! Cheap copy paper, tiny stitches. Result: perfect little points. I always fold every line on the paper-piecing pattern before I begin, which also helps. It seems that freezer paper would be even HARDER to work with because it is so tough in the first place.