Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone out there with Celiac Disease? >

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Our local grocery store is advertising a Betty Crocker gluten-free cake mix this week. Not cheap-$3.49 vs. $1.25 for regular mixes) but I imagine that it would be nice to have a box mix on hand and not have to search for "exotic" flours and recipes.

Sue
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 AM

My daughter was diag when only 2 is now 37 and is doing great! She buys a bread at the health food store that is gluten free. They also have great cookbooks there that are gluten free. I called her and she said there are great gluten free breads recipes online just google for them.
Connie
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM

My daughter was diag when only 2 is now 37 and is doing great! She buys a bread at the health food store that is gluten free. They also have great cookbooks there that are gluten free. I called her and she said there are great gluten free breads recipes online just google for them.
Connie
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
This is a good site to order gluten-free foods:

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/

I can recommend the 'Dad's Gluten-Free Pizza Crust'. It's the best I've tried.
I don't eat much bread, but the secret to good gluten-free bread is to lightly butter each side and grill it. Glutano makes a very good flax seed bread, and homemade bread would also probably be tastier if buttered and grilled. That's how I make my toast and also sandwiches.
I have a gluten/wheat intolerance, dont have the severe allergy but my stomach gets very sick when I eat anything with wheat or flour in it. I have tried numerous breads and bread and baking flour mixes and none of them I really like, but they always do taste better buttered and grilled, I can say that.

As to the flax seed I read somewhere that this was wheat derived, the flax seed bread is very good though. I had to stop eating it because I thought it was from wheat as well.

As to other gluten free things, check out your local health food stores or organic store, we have one here that has tons of pastas and other items that are strictly gluten free that are very good. I think that bread just can not be duplicated in my oppinion lol. I am a huge bread fan and this has been very hard for me.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I noticed WalMart in my area carries a lot of gluten free foods now. I saw cereals, pasta, flours, and mixes. It has it's own section. It's new so check your local WalMart now. And the food manager can order it from the main warehouse if the store does not have it. Don't let him/her say they can't. They can. Email the head office if they give you a run around about stocking it. Most don't want to find shelf space for it.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
I know this conversation is old, but after reading through I had to contribute.

I've been gluten free since 2004. Had the endoscopy to confirm Celiac. Yes, the diet is not any fun. It's like going to a neighborhood potluck and just sitting there and eating carrots and cauliflower... oh wait, that is what it is.

But I was sick for 4 years and they did not diagnose me correctly, eventually sending me to mental health (military healthcare). It was until after my husband retired, and I got a civilian doc that she saw the warning flags, tested me, and diagnosed me.

I miss pizza, good pizza. And I miss soft chewy bread and Cheez-its. But I found a cookbook --You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!: 500 Delicious, Foolproof Recipes for Healthy Living (Paperback) by Roben Ryberg. This is the greatest cookbook for gluten free, in my opinion. EASY recipes, EASY directions, and VERY good meals, desserts, crackers, breads, just about everything.

Quilting has been my release. I sew, sew, sew, and when I'm not sewing, I have to go to the local fabric store.

So even though I'm almost 2 years late in posting on this forum. I hope someone sees it.

It is a really good cookbook. And I hate to cook! :)
I'm adding this one to my list of books to get. Thank you for sharing!!

MissT: Mmmmm, those recipes look delicious!!

dsj: I don't eat a lot of apples. They have a naturally high level of benzene in them and I'm allergic. I still eat them occasionally but not too often. It was a good thought though! I guess they don't say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" for nothing. :-D

javan: Thank you for the hamburger bun recipe. I'll have to give it a try. I have a bean flour recipe I use more than anything. I'm allergic to corn so I have to stay away from the corn starch, but potato starch and arrowroot works just as well.

Darn that Betty Crocker! I took the white GF cake mix (which is corn free too) and added in some cinnamon, ground ginger, a dash of ground nutmeg & ground cloves, and made my very own ginger spice cake. MMmmmmm, it is sooo good! I ate the whole thing! That is a dangerous cake mix. :twisted:
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Here is a very dangerous recipe.

Chocolate Cake in a Coffee Mug
4 Tbsp flour (I use 1 tsp each of sourghum, teff, bean, & almond meal flour)
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa (NOT Dutch, which has gluten)
1 egg
3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp cocolate chips (optional)
splash of vanilla

In large coffee mug mix flour, sugar, and cocoa until mixed completely. Then add the egg and mix thoroughly. Then add milk and oil and stir completely. Then add in the choc chips and vanilla. Cook in microwave 3 minutes. Remove and enjoy!

(PS. I find it is a bit bitter without the chocolate chips and I love vanilla so I always add 1-2 tbsp. This is a dangerous recipe as you are only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time!)
Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Here is a very dangerous recipe.

Chocolate Cake in a Coffee Mug
4 Tbsp flour (I use 1 tsp each of sourghum, teff, bean, & almond meal flour)
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa (NOT Dutch, which has gluten)
1 egg
3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp cocolate chips (optional)
splash of vanilla

In large coffee mug mix flour, sugar, and cocoa until mixed completely. Then add the egg and mix thoroughly. Then add milk and oil and stir completely. Then add in the choc chips and vanilla. Cook in microwave 3 minutes. Remove and enjoy!

(PS. I find it is a bit bitter without the chocolate chips and I love vanilla so I always add 1-2 tbsp. This is a dangerous recipe as you are only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time!)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 PM
dsj

Tiffany, you mentioned teff in the recipe, what is it?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
Tiffany, you mentioned teff in the recipe, what is it?
Teff flour is amazing! It has a similar consistancy to a fine/med cornmeal and is darker in color than most flours. It is fantastic for those of us who can't eat wheat because it is supposed to be the one flour that tastes most like wheat. Yay!! I haven't used it in too much stuff. I only have about 6-8 cups of it and I tend to hoard things when they get low, or what I consider low. I have a few bread recipes I want to give a try because they use teff flour in them. I like the texture and it taste pretty good, for flour anyway. If I find a decent bread recipe I'll post it here. It's amazing how hard it is to find a good bread recipe that is wheat free.