Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

After five years the members turned on you? And no explanation of why? Something must have gone very wrong somewhere.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
What is going on? This is the second post I read this morning about rude quilters!! I really didn't realize there was such a thing! Even my hubby mentioned always meeting happy friendly quilters, and now this?? Is it another "sign of the time we live in now?"
No stitchinwitch, this is very unusual. 99% of quilters are wonderful people. It's really a shame this has happened to some people here. Makes me sad, but no one should give up on a club experience. Most quilting clubs welcome everyone with open arms.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Wow, I'm am sorry to hear that you were treated so poorly at the guild meeting! I've belonged to my guild since it was started, and I just enjoy the heck out of it! I know that it can be intimidating for someone coming in for the first time, but we do have members that look out for our visitors & newbies, and we try to make sure everyone feels welcome.
Yes, we do have that boring "meeting" stuff at every meeting, but we also have speakers 9 or 10 times a year. The few times we have no speaker, it's usually the holiday party or potluck time! We have amazing Show & Tell every month too - one of the best parts for me. :D
And bragging on my guild a bit more, a number of our speakers have complimented us on how friendly we are too. :wink:
There are about 80 guilds in the So. California area, so if you're here, you have a lot to choose from. If one doesn't feel right, try the next one!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Now I kinda feel out of place! I still have my first sewing machine,(and still use) a Brother with about 10 different stiches, and all quilting is done by hand. :cry: LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Now I kinda feel out of place! I still have my first sewing machine,(and still use) a Brother with about 10 different stiches, and all quilting is done by hand. :cry: LOL

Please don't feel out of place. I just have a "baby" Janome, it does just a few stitches and has none of the bells and whistles of the fancier machines. But, you know what? It does everything "I" want it to do and that's all that matters to me.

(and this machine, mind you, was a step up from my Mother's old White machine----despite getting it "fixed", etc. it would never maintain consistant tension..........)
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry that they treated you that way (((HUGS))) We all love you and are happy to have you here with us!!! :D:D:D
Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Everyone here on the board have different machines, from the oldest treadles to the newest bells and whistles... we are quite a diverse group, and do not judge anyone by their machines and especially not by the fact that you handquilt :wink: many of us will be envying you and that skill!!! :D:D:D
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 AM

I have a feeling that my quilt guild is very elitist, if the attitudes at the local quilt store are any indication. I won't even bother finding out if that's so. I have work friends that quilt and so I talk to them about quilt stuff.
Evelyn
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwhite
I have not been in a Guild for years, but I have a mean streak that needs to be satisfied every now and again. Putting a few of these "ladies" in their place in front all of the other biddies would warm the cockles of my heart. I was asked to move once at a bingo when I took my ailing mother. I was told "Angie sits there and she will be pissed if you sit there too. You better move before Angie gets here." I told her I am not moving and you just leave Angie to me. I think the whole room just sat and waited for Angies arrival to see the explosion. Well long story short, Angie invited me to come back and sit with her any time. But I would not have hesitated to let Angie have it too if she gave me tude!!! Life is way too short to go through life pushing people around. I subscribe to "live and let live" but if you can't do that I will be a big pot hole in your ugly road.
Me too! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM

I was a member of our local quilt guild and volunteered to editor the newsletter. (Never have a margarita before going to a meeting--LOL) I did the newsletter for 2 years. I had a few very nice thank yous, lots of complaints and zero offers to help me. At the end of the two years at the annual guild business meeting one of the members accused the treasurer and myself of taking money from the guild, even though we had receipts for every expenditure. That was the last meeting I attended. Haven't missed it, but very glad I stumbled on this board a couple of months ago.