Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Please help me calm down ... >

Please help me calm down ...

Please help me calm down ...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM

While I recognize that the parking issue was troublesome, the real problem is that you have lost a friend and are greiving. Please accept my sympathy for your loss and hope that happy memories replace the sadness you are feeling now.

(It might have been a good day to go shopping for fabric all day and not see any of it!)

HUGS,
Joan
Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I am just praying I can get though this day without snapping at someone. I hate hurting anyones feelings. I am tring to stay away from the front of my house and stay cool. I think the one lady parker set me off by being a smart_ _ _ to me about it. Boy... people can be so dang thoughtless!

If you lived closer, I could send my Rottweiler over there......
Oh I would have loved to have sicked a dog on some of them! LOL!

But the sale ended yesterday and it is finally over. Thank the Lord! I couldn't make myself buy any of her things. I inherited many things from my parents and I know how I hid those for a long time before I could even look at them.

I guess it makes you realize how short a time we have with some very special people who pass though our lives. I am SO GLAD I spoiled her every way I could. She will be missed dearly.

And... I learned some fun quilting things from her. One is, if you want a certain fabric or to attend a class, do it! It makes you a happier person that you got to do something special with your hobby and you learn more in a shorter amount of time. And sadly the other is.... don't spread yourself so thin that it effects your health.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

How difficult for you to see your friend's leaving with others. You will surely miss her. How about making a small journal with the wonderful times you had with her and what you learned from her.

Craig's List had a virtual estate sale a few months ago. There was a treadle machine that was very nice and within my budget. When we got to the house we were the only ones there and had an opportunity to talk with the family. The machine was owned by a great grandmother and she and a great aunt sewed all of the family garments on this machine. Their names were Casey and Kathryn so I told them we would name the machine KC. While there the sellers 10 year old daughter came in and they shared how she was learning to sew from her own aunt and now how she also owned her own sewing machine. She told me she sews pj's for herself and her stuffed animals. Then we talked about quilting and how one could really express themselves through their quilting. Next we bought a set of bookshelves from another of the relatives and they were delighted when I said they would be perfect for my stash as they had glass doors and would protect the fabric from dust. After that they showed me a cute table that they thought would be good for a cutting table. They were so pleased to know that the treadle would be used to sew not just for decoration and that all the pieces coming to our home would be loved and that those who had owned them first would be remembered. That was a day that will be treasured for ever.

How sad that you were not able to have such a wonderful day to remember your friend. You did have something much better in knowing her and having been gifted with priceless time spent together. The woman selling her things is just a rude and unfeeling person, she does not represent your friend. Your friend's belongings did, I am sure, bring much joy to those who took them home as the things I brought home did. They will be lovingly used and lovingly cared for as long as they are mine and I will always remember who they came from.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Call the police. It will most likely be handled as a civil matter and it may take awhile for them to get there, but I would do it.

If she works for a company (not herself) then make note of the name and call the company and complain. It probably won't do much good either, but she really shouldn't be doing that.

Or go out for the rest of the day or shut yourself up in your house so you don't see it and keep busy so you don't think about. It will be over soon and next week it really won't matter anymore.

I know it's frustrating.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

How are you doing today? I do hope you are better.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Go ahead !!! Call them.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
How are you doing today? I do hope you are better.
How sweet that you have come back in to see how iI am Thank you so much cjomomma. I was still shaking this morning but, I am better this afternoon. I guess it will take me a while, I loved her so.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM

I would definitely make a complaint against the company that is doing the estate sale. That is very unprofessional conduct and they are doing it as a business not as a favor.
Maybe one thing that might help you through this difficult time is thinking about how much everyone who has bought one of your friend's items is enjoying their new "find". Think of how much everyone else will be thinking of your friend when they look at their new treasure. Just a thought...
Hugs, Sue
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I know the problem is over and done with, but if any of you encounter a similar situation, a really easy way to take care of it is just to go on and park YOUR car blocking your drivway and sticking out in the street just enough that no one can park there.

We used to live in a house right downtown with a restaurant no less next door. There were only 4 parking spots in front of the reataurant, and 4 in front of our house, plus our driveway, of course...

I eventually made a sign with an arrow pointing to my driveway that said "Resident Dragon Will Eat Any Vehicle Parked In This Driveway" to put on the fence by the drive. That worked pretty well.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM

This happened to a friend of mine, so she waited till her
driveway was clear, then parked at a crazy angle so that
no one could block her drive. And called other family to
come visit for coffee and cookies!!