Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What do you do with cumumbers? >

What do you do with cumumbers?

What do you do with cumumbers?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 AM

similar to a few others, my mom sliced them thick, added sliced onions and wedges of tomatoes to a blend of vinegar, water and a touch of sugar to cut the tartness of the vinegar, salt and pepper...we'd eat (and I still do) the cukes/onions/tomatoes then add more to the liquid and keep it going for the whole season, adding vinegar and water as needed. Not only are the veggies great, but after a couple of days, the juice makes a wonderful low cal dressing for salad.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 AM

love fried green tomatoes.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
You said you don't do pickles, neither did I untl my aunt gave me her recipe. You are finished in only a few hours.
Really crisp good pickles. I will be glad so share recipe
with anyone.
My family like tomatos, cucumbers and bell pepper all chopped together stir in a little mayonise, season with sprinkle of Mrs Dash let set a few minutes or if time permitts longer. Good side dish.
I would like your recipe Please and thank you.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 PM

slice the cucumbers with onions green red and yellow peppers toss with bacon bits. stir in ranch salad dressing
Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Hello Quiltinggirl,

I would love to get your recipes for microwave bread and butter pickles and sour pickles also please. I love new recipes.
Thank you ,
Cntrygal51
Kathi
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 PM

My husband and I love cucumbers, tomatoes and sweet onions chopped up with Italian dressing poured over them. Sometimes I add a packet of sweetener to add a different taste. We eat this dish for lunch or dinner and sometimes both when the tomatoes are in season.

Joyce
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

My mom's recipe for adding cucumbers to jello

1 3oz pkg of lime jello
1/2c boiling water

Dissolve jello in the boiling water
Add immediately
1 lb drained cottage cheese
1 lg cucumber peeled and finely chopped
3/4c mayo
3/4c chopped nuts
1/4c diced onion

Put in fridge til set. Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 PM

These all sound good. Think I'll add some basil to the cuke, tomato, onion & peppers...with just a touch of homemade balsamic vinegrette
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by sewgull
You said you don't do pickles, neither did I untl my aunt gave me her recipe. You are finished in only a few hours.
Really crisp good pickles. I will be glad so share recipe
with anyone.
My family like tomatos, cucumbers and bell pepper all chopped together stir in a little mayonise, season with sprinkle of Mrs Dash let set a few minutes or if time permitts longer. Good side dish.
Never thought about Mayo. I do this and add green onion, with vinegar, sugar a bit of oil.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM

How about using some of them in a refreshing gazpacho?
Put a medium peeled cucumber (cut up) into your blender with half an onion, some garlic cloves, half a bell pepper, salt to taste, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, 3 Tbsp. cider or wine or balsamic vinegar, and 16 oz (more or less) water. Whirl it until blended. Pour into a large Tupperware-type pitcher. Then put one large can whole tomatoes in the blender and whirl them. Add to veggie mix and stir well. Add some water to thin a bit, if you like. Put a slice of French or Italian bread or some broken up crackers in the bottom of a soup bowl and pour the soup on top. It's better if you let it sit several hours for the flavors to blend, but I seldom manage to wait that long. You can vary the amounts given as you wish. You can use fresh tomatoes if you have them. In Spain they keep this in the fridge in the summer, and when someone comes over, they have their choice... un cafecito or un gazpacho (yes, you can drink it, if you prefer. I use my pretty, thin, clear glass mugs - Jenaglas - that are ideal for this). Enjoy!