Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper? >

Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper?

Where can I buy "very lightweight" printing paper?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 AM

I just use regular computer paper. I print my pattern on it. Then I use a small stitch and sew onto the paper without any thread. Then I usually just fold on all of the lines. Then it has nice perforated edges and tears off really nice and you don't have to mess with buying different paper. And it works really well too :)
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

If you're close to a newspaper printer, see if you can buy an end roll of newsprint.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 AM

I've been using the paper that Carol Doak puts out, but I have to say that I like my regular printer paper better. For one thing, the Carol Doak paper doesn't feed through the paper feed very well on either of my two printers--one is an Epson color printer and the other is an HP Laser printer. The only way I can get it to feed through is to stand and put each piece through one at a time, which is kind of a hassel. I've never had any problems using my regular generic printer paper. Also, the Carol Doak paper tends to tear and curl up. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM

20# printer paper, size 16 needle, 18-29 or so stitches to the inch... perforates the paper so intensely that it pops right off. (dont make a mistake tho as 20 stitches per inch is hard to frog stitch for sure LOL)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM

I was buying the paper piecing paper from my LQS. One day while I was printing out some patterns, the smell reminded me of the paper tablets we had as kids, the Big Chief tablets. There is a school supply store near my office. I went there and found 500 sheet reams of the paper. It works perfect in my printer at home. Sure it has blue lines on it but they are light and don't seem to interfere with the pattern. So, $10.00 for 100 sheets of PP paper at the LQS or $5.00 for 500 sheets of the same paper with blue lines on it. This paper is the perfect weight, sew nicely, comes off very nice at the end.

JMHO,

Cathy
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM

The trick is to use smaller stitches. Making the stitches closer together, it perforates the paper and is really easy to remove. I just use regular computer paper and have no trouble getting the paper off when I am finished.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Recently became a convert to PP. Learned from Carol Doak many years ago. I use the rolls from MD office or if I am copying, I also use cheap tracing paper. Strong but cheap (40) sheets for a dollar at $stores. Also copy paper when printing from computer. Just love using CD's paper but it is pricy! Hope I've helped
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM

I use the Carol Doak paper. Hancocks has it for $7.98 a pack and when I can find it elsewhere on sale I stock up.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by eightylady
I'm getting into paper piecing and looking for the thinnest paper to print block patterns on. Where do you start to look, other than Office Depot or Staples? There must be quilting or craft stores that stock this type paper. Right?
I have used reg.copy paper until I found out you can go to an Artist supply store,I go to Hobby Lobby and buy the tracing paper, some of it is wide and some of it is just little off. But you can use a ruler and rotery cut the tracing paper and it goes perfectly thru my printer. I love using it. You can see thru it so clearly and it is easy to remove after stitching. I buy it by the tablet. Not all that expensive and sometimes on sale.
BillsBonBon
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 PM

I have started using the June Tailor foundation sheets for paper piecing. It is a little bit expensive, but it is non-woven and doesn't have to be removed!!!! And you can run the sheets through your printer / copier. I have found them at WalMart and at JoAnn's. It comes in packages of 25 sheets. Sorry, I can't remember how much I paid for the packages, but have started stocking up on it with my 40% coupons.