Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Even tho I have had the 850 for almost a year, this thread is really giving me a lot of info. Thanks to all!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 PM

I started with the plus 1 in 94 then in 07 bought the 850 sapphire after a year they brought out the diamond and gave me every penny I had in the 850 plus 500 dallors plus luggage plus free classes and a special on other stuuff . I ended up paying 6800. I too loved each machine. I kept the plus 1 but traded in the 850. I had no problems as you spoke of. Good luck. I hope it works out.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM

I've had my 870 for about 18 months now. I bought it from a friend who decided she didn't like it after about 6 months. She only used it a handful of times.

I love my machine! I'm still having issues with tension when I try to quilt a large quilt. For some reason no matter what I try, I still tend to get some eyelashes on the back. I just need to keep trying though.....

Thanks for starting this thread, I will definitely be keeping my eye on it!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I think I understood that if the tension is tight and is pulling the top thread down you should loosen the bobbin just a tad. That's just shy of a smidgen :).
Originally Posted by stpatmom
I've had my 870 for about 18 months now. I bought it from a friend who decided she didn't like it after about 6 months. She only used it a handful of times.

I love my machine! I'm still having issues with tension when I try to quilt a large quilt. For some reason no matter what I try, I still tend to get some eyelashes on the back. I just need to keep trying though.....

Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Charlene What kind of thread are you using? It might be the thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
OK. 2 hours and 5 broken needles and lots of swear words later it's still shreading the #$#@ thread!! I works for I guess 6 inches and at most 10 inches of sewing and then there's that glob of thread behind the needle, one ply of thread into fabric and then it breaks. I think I have to take it in for a check up.

One nice thing about top stitch needles is the larger eye--much easier to thread.

I quit for today-going to watch soaps or something LOL!
Are you making sure that the thread is not catching on the spool, perhaps in that little slit for fastening the thread? Broken needles would come from that.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 PM

If you want to loosen the tension you have to go into tools and make the adjustment there. Having the correct setting for the fabric will most likely solve the tension problems. I run a very thin, narrow ribbon thru the tension discs every once in awhile whenever I use different weights of thread or especially if you use a thread that creates alot of lint. Also when you change thread clip it close to the spool then pull it out from the needle- you don't want to pull lint back up into the machine. Invest in the mini vacuum that is sold for machines to really get rid of all the lint in the machine. you've spent alot of money on your machine a few more $$ on a little aid to keep your machine free of lint is a great investment. The A foot and the B foot are very similar to each other BUT when the stitch calls for an A foot you Can use the B Foot. When the stitch calls for a B foot you shouldn't use the A foot. You MIGHT not get the same results. If you are having problems with the feed dogs eating the fabric(sinking below the stitch plate) I would advise you to use a straight stitch plate. It has a single hole to prevent the fabric from being forced below the stitch plate. When using such a plate you have to remember that the needle cannot be moved at all-it must remain in the center position. When you want to wind a bobbin from the needle you must have a metal foot in place and set the presser foot in the highest position. the thread needs to feed from under the foot.Do not wind the bobbin at a high speed because the friction creates heat and will actually warp the bobbin and it won't come off the spindle. You will then have to pull off all the thread that is on the bobbin remove it and throw it away- it will never be the same again.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
OK. 2 hours and 5 broken needles and lots of swear words later it's still shreading the #$#@ thread!! I works for I guess 6 inches and at most 10 inches of sewing and then there's that glob of thread behind the needle, one ply of thread into fabric and then it breaks. I think I have to take it in for a check up.

One nice thing about top stitch needles is the larger eye--much easier to thread.

I quit for today-going to watch soaps or something LOL!
Remove the stitch plate- place the screwdriver that came with the machine under the inside corner by the bobbin cover and pop it off- run your fingers all around the slotted opening on the top and underneath of the plate and feel for burrs or any sharp edges-if you have been breaking needles there might be something catching the thread and breaking it that way. That can be smoothed with a veryfine emery cloth. Feel your bobbins to see if they are smooth around the edges. Take out the bobbin casing and do the same. You may also have pulled the hook out of wack somehow. If nome of this helps bring it back to the store. it is still under warranty.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by stpatmom

I think the eyelashes will go away with practice. It has for me. I don't mess with the tension unless I'm using a different thread than normal. I think the biggest thing that helps with a large quilt is making sure it's supported well and won't catch on anything while you are working on it. I added a small TV table to the left of me on my last quilt and it was just enough to avoid catching the corner of my sewing table. I didn't see any problems with the back of my latest one. :)
Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 AM

Hi, I bought my Vicking 545 in 2000 and I looove it! It has done everything I've wanted it to do for me....and I've NEVER believe it or not had it in for a check up. I clean the bobbin area
very well after each and every project. I love my machine.
Patti